Can't Insert View in TechDraw

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TimH02130

Can't Insert View in TechDraw

Post by TimH02130 »

I tried following the TechDraw tutorial on the Wiki, but after importing my 3D model and inserting the default page, clicking in the Combo View panel, all as per the instructions, I could not see the "Insert View" icon shown on the Wiki page anywhere, and when I go to the TechDraw menu almost all the options are grayed-out including "Insert View." What am I missing (it must be simple but it's not in the Wiki)?
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Can't Insert View in TechDraw

Post by Shalmeneser »

For this 1st post :
* Provide FULL version info (follow link in red banner)
* Picture of your screen
* File
TimH02130

Post by TimH02130 »

Version 0.20.2 (revision 29603)

Screenshot attached.

Also attached: MyModel.dae Collada input file.

The problem seems to be somehow related to the import of MyModel.dae, since I can open the model given in the TechDraw tutorial (Basic_Part_Design_Tutorial_017.fcstd) and it works fine. If however I save that latter model as a Collada file, import it into a new page, and then try to insert a view of it into TechView, I can do that (i.e. the "Insert View" option is not grayed-out), but then the model does not appear, only a little box with a dashed outline and "View" in the middle (which I don't know what to make of).

So why does TechDraw note work with models imported from Collada files?

BTW: If I could just get export "Flattened SVG" to work, I would not be trying to convert my 3D model to a 2D drawing so I could export it via export "Drawing (svg, svgz, dtx)" -- but opening an SVG file created by exporting a "Flattened SVG" in e.g. InkScape just displays a blank box.

In short, what I'm trying to do is to convert my 3D model in the attached Collada file to a 2D drawing (vs. some nice looking projection) that can be exported to an SVG file. That's all!
Attachments
MyModel.dae
(194.33 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Screenshot from 2023-01-31 20-02-38.png
Screenshot from 2023-01-31 20-02-38.png (337.26 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

TimH02130 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:26 am So why does TechDraw note work with models imported from Collada files?
TechDraw doesn't know how to handle mesh objects. If you convert them to shapes, you'll be able to make drawings.

I don't use meshes much, so this is the only advice I have: FreeCAD_and_Mesh_Import
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Correct way to add FreeCAD version is explained here:

http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264

Regards.

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
TimH02130

Post by TimH02130 »

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.2.29603 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.20.2)
Hash: 930dd9a76203a3260b1e6256c70c1c3cad8c5cb8
Python 3.10.6, Qt 5.15.8, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Hope that helps you to help me!

The problem, as I'm just beginning to understand, is that the "mesh" object obtained by importing a model from a DAE file needs to be converted to a "shape" object (or perhaps a "body" or even a "part") before many of the tools FreeCAD provides can be used on it, including (hopefully!) exporting to a "Flattened SVG" file or to a 2D drawing via TechDraw. Unfortunately, when I go into the "Part" workbench and invoke "Shape builder", it won't let me select anything in my model -- meaning that the cursor becomes a red circle with a diagonal stripe when I move it over any piece of the model, and clicking on any of the meshes in the Combo View just gives me a little "click" noise, which presumably means "you can't do that" for some reason.

So why can't I select anything in my model from within Shape builder? Do I have to go into the Python console, as described in "https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Mesh_to_Part"?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

TimH02130 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:32 pm So why can't I select anything in my model from within Shape builder?
You don't want the ShapeBuilder here, you want Part->Shape from Mesh.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

TimH02130 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:32 pm
Select the mesh objects, then Part > Create shape from mesh ...
myModelAsShapes.png
myModelAsShapes.png (43.13 KiB) Viewed 663 times
Attachments
myModel_asShapes.FCStd
(424 KiB) Downloaded 7 times