wishlist page

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
heda
Veteran

wishlist page

Post by heda »

made Sandbox:Wishlist,
a public scratch pad for quality of life items for fc.

if deemed worthy, could be lifted to main namespace.
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: wishlist page

Post by Roy_043 »

As you probably know, most developers will not consult this list. It would be better to create GitHub issues.
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

"As you probably know,..."

:D indeed, just secretly hoping to start a new trend for people not keen on gh

well, for now this is largely things that I have noticed, and it is perfectly ok if it stays in oblivion, although it would be nice if some of the items on the list are cared for at some point in time.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

I have checked the Draft items, obviously :mrgreen:.

The Dimension problem is caused by the way FreeCAD handles defaults, and the fact that in the Draft ui and py files inconsistent default values occur. This should be fixed. Your suggestion of looking at the BoundBox of the model is really a separate wish. I personally would not be in favor of that.

I do not have an issue entering 1.23 in the task panel of the Scale command (after removing user.cfg). Your request to allow expressions for the scale factors would make sense when creating a clone. But less so in other cases where the scaling is not preserved in a property of the resulting object. Note that you can already enter something like 12/4.

The Transform problem is on my ToDo list. It is actually an issue that is caused by, and can be fixed in, the Draft code. Basically the context menus of all Draft objects need to be checked and harmonized.

I did not understand the Split taskpanel item. AFAIK that command does not have a task panel, and the task panel of the Draft_ShapeString command can already be closed with Esc in recent V0.21 versions.

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.30922 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 8ec1279ea8ee32a36fae683b42b5cfc5821734b5
Python 3.8.13, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: Dutch/Netherlands (nl_NL)
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

@heda
I have just submitted a PR to improve the Draft context menus. But, contrary to what I said, the Transform problem cannot be fixed in the Draft code. Draft objects that do not have this option are App_FeaturePython objects for which Transform is not implemented.
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

"suggestion of looking at the BoundBox"
- fair enough

"do not have an issue entering 1.23"
- neither do i when doing it directly after widget opens (admittedly misleading formulation),
the issue is really all other use cases
try to enter 1.234...
when widget opens it is in focus and value is selected, so any entry overwrites.
if deselecting value, one can enter any value to left of decimal, but cannot write any value right of decimal point without first deleting a digit - and one cannot enter/paste more decimals than the 2 (depends on settings i suppose, but most people will use 2).
apart from the behaviour when overwriting (with strictly 2 decimals), the widget behaviour is imho highly unconventional and is a nuisance

"can already enter something like 12/4"
- good for you, but nope - does not work on my box, refuses the divisor :-(

"did not understand the Split taskpanel item"
- neither do i now
so it is just noise to ignore until (if ever) i figure out how that ended up in my scribbles

"submitted a PR"
- cool & Dank u zeer.