<translate> tags

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
aflorz

<translate> tags

Post by aflorz »

Are the <translate> tags supposed to be enclosing the whole document for every page? From what I read on the MediaWiki docs, the <translate> is just supposed to go around parts that have been changed to mark them for translation. But when I edit a page, <translate> is already there around the whole page by default, not allowing me to specifically place it around a new change.
aflorz

Re: <translate> tags

Post by aflorz »

Ok, I researched a bit more, and I think I misunderstood the point of the <translate> tags. I had thought that you add the tags around any parts you change, but that the tags don't actually remain part of the source and they just alert the extension to ask for a new translation for that part. But it seems that the tags enclose everything that requires translation and stay in the source, and the system auto requests new translations for edited sections inside the <translate> tags. Parts outside the <translate> tags are reproduced in the original language instead of being translated.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I had hoped that one of the initiated would have answered, so this is merely how I experienced these tags: I think they are auto generated for single paragraphs, because that are the units offered to the translators. So you may try to edit a page without fuzzing around at all with these tags.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

Don't get confused, these are generated automatically: <!--T:63-->

And those contain all sections to be translated: <translate>...</translate>

To not translate items such as images, the latter tags can be used as Stop translating and Continue translating:

</translate>
[[Image:Tut17_sketchplanes.png|center|250px]]
<translate>
aflorz

Post by aflorz »

I wish there was a way to easily mark a change as not needing a new translation when all that was done was fixing a typo or grammar. That would be a waste of time for translators to see since it probably won't affect their language.

So what I envision is putting something like <minoredit>fixed typo</minoredit> around the change. After submitting the edit, it automatically removes the tags from the source. Then for each language, if the unit of text that the minor change was in was already translated, that unit is not shown as needing translation, but if there are other parts or previous edits in the unit that need translation, it is shown as usual to translators.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FBXL5 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:35 am Don't get confused, these are generated automatically: <!--T:63-->
Sorry I had indeed mixed them up.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

aflorz wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:55 pm I wish there was a way to easily mark a change as not needing a new translation when all that was done was fixing a typo or grammar.
Serves the "This is a minor edit" checkbox this purpose?
aflorz

Post by aflorz »

chrisb wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:00 pm Serves the "This is a minor edit" checkbox this purpose?
But if editing a page, and in some parts making significant content-related changes, and in other parts making minor edits, checking the Minor Edit box would mark the entire revision as a minor edit. I'm wondering if there's a way to mark minor edits directly so that those minor new parts are not shown to translators as needing new translation.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

As far as I understand the translation process there are two tools to handle changes:
- One that adds and updates the numbered tags.
- FuzzyBot that notifies translated pages about changes.

In case of minor edits only the latter needs to be launched. And so it is your responsibility to use the minor edit checkbox correctly.

Launching two tools should not be too much to do for a "proof reader". But if they have a closer look at the page they might find something beyond your changes that needs some attention, too - but that's another story...
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

The minor edit checkbox is irrelevant for the translation process.