[Sketcher] Clearer icons for : Polyline, toggle construction, toggle constraints, toggle active constraints, ext geo

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: [Sketcher] Clearer icons for : Polyline, toggle construction, toggle constraints, toggle active constraints, ext geo

Post by adrianinsaval »

chrisb wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:34 pm Adrians proposal made horizontal.
I made it diagonal so that it is not confused with a tool related specifically to horizontal/vertical constraints, if made horizontal it should use the dimension icon or a combination of both IMO. It sounds silly but for newbies this could help clear things up.

I'll make a kinda matching icon for disabling constraints later, possibly also for construction geometry.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: [Sketcher] Clearer icons for : Polyline, toggle construction, toggle constraints, toggle active constraints, ext geo

Post by adrianinsaval »

Another possibility for the toggle reference constraint:
Screenshot_20220921_210458.png
Screenshot_20220921_210458.png (23.48 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
Sketcher_ToggleConstraint.svg
(5.16 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
And my proposal for toggle active constraint:
toggleActive.png
toggleActive.png (20.32 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
Sketcher_ToggleActiveConstraint.svg
(7.32 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
a similar concept as the toggle reference can be used here but I think if they are a little different it's easier to quickly tell each other apart in usage.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

A variation for toggle active
Attachments
Sketcher_ToggleActiveConstraint-2.svg
(9.66 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
toggleActive-2.png
toggleActive-2.png (23.3 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I wouldn't need any additional stuff. Red and blue and a dimension symbol are exactly what it needs. Aditional stuff doesn't make it clearer, the green arrows can even be counter productive because they could be identified as some revert or recompute.

The toggle doesn't even need a distinction between driving and driven, because the dimension colors change already their color. It could look nice though, if there was a visual feedback of a button being pushed.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

I kinda like that off icon, I have it in my icon theme as exit icon. But might suit also for these kind of on/off function.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

chrisb wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:55 am I wouldn't need any additional stuff. Red and blue and a dimension symbol are exactly what it needs. Aditional stuff doesn't make it clearer, the green arrows can even be counter productive because they could be identified as some revert or recompute.

The toggle doesn't even need a distinction between driving and driven, because the dimension colors change already their color. It could look nice though, if there was a visual feedback of a button being pushed.
I agree, while the icon looks really nice in big on the forum post, in 32x32 or 24x24 I fear it will be to small to be clear.

For me the one I like the best is the one made by havaard :
Toggle_reference_3_combined.png

I like how the current color is big and centered and the other smaller in the background and that it change when you click it.

And for toggle active icon I would make the same icon with grey instead of blue.

However the ones by Adrianinsaval (without additional arrows) and alternative diagonal version by Chrisb are both fine for me too.
maxwxyz

Post by maxwxyz »

@paddle is it possible to make all constraints-icons the same line width? I think they are each individually created with an unique thickness of the red strokes :x
Attachments
constraints.png
constraints.png (16.11 KiB) Viewed 3333 times
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

I did this in my icon pack, although some are slightly different.
https://github.com/MisterMakerNL/Linkst ... s/Sketcher
Inkscape is a pain to work with in my opinion we should all start using Blender for icons!
maxwxyz

Post by maxwxyz »

I am not using the Linkstage version, that's why I tagged @paddle who has made the PR. Maybe it is possible to harmonize the constraints icons as mentioned above. If there is a way I can help, please let me know.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

maxwxyz wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:34 pm I am not using the Linkstage version, that's why I tagged @paddle who has made the PR. Maybe it is possible to harmonize the constraints icons as mentioned above. If there is a way I can help, please let me know.
I agree that the constraint icons could be more homogene. You can attempt to make a set of icon and create a PR. I would suggest being very conservative in term of color and shape if you want to have a chance for it to merge.

I personally won't attempt this because I feel that this is going to be a very tiring job to get it accepted/merged.