Locomotive & Wagon Assembly

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wieszak

Locomotive & Wagon Assembly

Post by wieszak »

Well, some small project for spare time...
triplus
Veteran

Re: Show your FreeCAD projects here!

Post by triplus »

Nice!
logari81

Re: Locomotive & Wagon Assembly

Post by logari81 »

I have just noticed that this model is one of the demos shown on the front page of the FC website and I wonder if there is a fcstd file corresponding to this model.

Excuse me for questioning this but to me this model looks so complex that either wieszak is a very patient user to have done the assembly in FC (which is possible) or it could be a modified imported step file.

I think it is important to ensure that the demos shown on the front page should be real freecad models. Otherwise it should at least be stated in the description that a model is based on an imported step file. It is important for two reasons:
1. Respect to the users that have provided very complex models verifiably made in FC.
2. Being honest to new users about the capabilities of the software.
wieszak17

Post by wieszak17 »

Whole project is made exlusively in FreeCAD. I didn't include .fcstd files mainly because of they size: all projets files have about 2.5GB already. And some of them would be rather example of how to not do it :)

But i could give an example - the very first created file: http://para.zonk.pl/Ol49-P202-1-0.fcstd

You can check also kind of sideproject of this: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5722 -
friend of mine knowing that i making Ol49 asked me for wheels to his model of Ty51 - and i used same technics in both cases.

And yes, i was already told that i'm very patient person ;)

Also this screenshot is a little outdated.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Very impressive.
wieszak17 wrote:all projets files have about 2.5GB already.
:shock:

Patient indeed. :)

With such a big assembly, how does FreeCAD react? Are you able to rotate the 3D view with fluidity?
wieszak17

Post by wieszak17 »

Hmm, rotating... just works. :) with all files loaded i got 1-3 fps. But i'm only doing this to see whole thing from time to time. Normally i'm working on small groups, then merging them into main groups - currently five of ten are more or less made.

Usually there is no problems with making details in FC, only two annoying things are: sometimes i could not make desired fillet/chamfer because model already is too complicated for them works, and slow to very slow sketcher when using more tangents or especially symetric constrains. Or just a lot of them...
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Are you making all the components in their own FreeCAD project, then as a last step "create simple copy", then create a new FreeCAD project that only "assembles" the simple copies?

Then if you need to change something you do so in the "sub" project files, create a new simple copy and put that in the "assembly document".

Is that what you have done? Or is you "assembly" project including all of the history of the parametric components?

Jim
wieszak17

Post by wieszak17 »

More or less. One file per component in which there 2-15 parts plus bolts/nuts joining that component.
When such file is ready and positioned, i copy it to another directory, make refine shape on all elements and delete anything besides just created shapes. Then I merge this files into groups (same as original blueprints groups).

So far there is no 'full assembly' file - to make screenshots i just merge this 'groups files'.