Notes about Coordinate systems

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Notes about Coordinate systems

Post by adrianinsaval »

yeah I don't see anything wrong there, although I personally would say "Point * is at * mm along the X axis of *"
manos

Post by manos »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:11 am yeah I don't see anything wrong there, although I personally would say "Point * is at * mm along the X axis of *"
Thanks again adrianinsaval
manos

Post by manos »

So this is the update version of my notes:

COORDINATE SYSTEMS AT Fcad V 0.3 2022-07-02
The objects at space are positioned using Coordinate systems. The most used system is the Cartesian.

In that system the three axis are perpendicular to each other.

The most "general" Cartesian Coordinate system in FC is the global axis system. It is a system with invariable axis and the less used by simple users.

We can view the Global axis system using the command Std AxisCross.

Most FC objects comprise their own axis system. It is very important to know every moment when with FC, to which axis system we are referred. If not, error messages will appear and the outcome will be a mess.

The following objects have their own axis system: Body, Std Part, Sketch , Shapes

The following objects DO NOT have their own axis system: Document, Group,

We can view the (Local) Coordinate system of the objects contained in the Body: Tree view ->Body->Origin and hitting Space.

Sketches have their own Coordinate system too which is …….. of the Body in which they are contained.

Shapes contained in a Body have their own Coordinate system which is … of the Body in which they are contained.

For the objects inside the Body we can create an Auxiliary Local Coordinate system using the command: PartDesign CoordinateSystem.

If we want to combine more bodies to make an Assembly we can use a Std Part. A Std Part provides its own (Local) Coordinate System.
Bodies inside a Std Part keep their own coordinate System.
Attachments
CoordSystems_3.doc
(12.5 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

A ".doc" file is painful : try PDF or TXT or just quote it in your post.
manos

Post by manos »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:24 am A ".doc" file is painful : try PDF or TXT or just quote it in your post.
I used .doc in order to let other people make changes directly to the file . But it did not work that way: All corrections have been made at the posts.
So you are right .txt is enough even though it does'nt has the capabilities of .doc.
But please explain :.doc is used by Windows and Linux users , isn't a kind of de facto standard ?
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

* ".doc" is not a standard, even for M**soft .
* It's not an open file format
manos

Post by manos »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:18 pm * ".doc" is not a standard, even for M**soft .
* It's not an open file format
So what is the open file format which is used by Windows and Linux users ?
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

manos wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:22 pm So what is the open file format which is used by Windows and Linux users ?
For Windows users DOCX format would be vastly more common than ODT format.

DOCX is "owned" by MS, but it is openly documented, unlike the DOC format.

I do not believe there is any advanced format that is standard and commonly used across all platforms. Limited capability formats such as TXT and PDF are used, of course, but these have either limited capability or limited editability.

Gene
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

GeneFC wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:02 pm
manos wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:22 pm So what is the open file format which is used by Windows and Linux users ?
For Windows users DOCX format would be vastly more common than ODT format.

DOCX is "owned" by MS, but it is openly documented, unlike the DOC format.

I do not believe there is any advanced format that is standard and commonly used across all platforms. Limited capability formats such as TXT and PDF are used, of course, but these have either limited capability or limited editability.

Gene
Isn't ODF based on XML?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."