New subjects at Users forum

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
manos

New subjects at Users forum

Post by manos »

Hello
The FreecadForum>Users contains 9 Subjects. This is helpful for anybody who looks for a specific issue . E.g. Toponaming .. or Python scripting and so on.
That's for I am wondering how useful would be to add more Subjects . For example External WorkBenches or Macros etc. So it will be easier to search for a specific post concerning e.g. Manipulator WB or FCInfo Macro.Those subforums would focus more on users questions and less on development issues.
It would also facilitate @chrisb and others job to move posts at right place-subject.
Of cource Subject creation will be supervised by moderators .
What do you think friends ?
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: New subjects at Users forum

Post by NewJoker »

The Toponaming and Link Branch subforum was added recently and on this occasion, there was a discussion to add even more categories: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=68012

Too many subforums would make it harder to navigate here but I also think that there could be some additional categories. Currently, the discussions about developed add-on workbenches and macros take place here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewforum.php?f=9

I don't think that the particular workbench and macro that you've mentioned require a separate subforum but others may benefit from that (e.g. Curves, Sheetmetal, maybe Fasteners), especially if there's a chance for them to be integrated with FreeCAD one day.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

NewJoker wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:22 am ...
Too many subforums would make it harder to navigate here
Absolutely agree.
but I also think that there could be some additional categories. ...
Disagree. There is already enough that keeping up to date with them all is tedious.

Good topics in a post, IMO, is far more important than segregation. And, an improved search engine for the forum, in general, would be good. But, this is dependent on the forum software and may not be easy to improve. Experience has shown, browser search engines are actually better at finding forum threads at this point.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

drmacro wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:30 am ...Good topics in a post, IMO, is far more important than segregation...
+1 on that

and - too many subforums only means additional work for mods who constantly have to redirect incorrectly placed posts :roll:
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

bambuko wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:47 am and - too many subforums only means additional work for mods who constantly have to redirect incorrectly placed posts :roll:
A solution would be to increase the number of moderators but I assume that there aren't many people whom the decision-makers would trust enough and who are interested to help with moderation. There are missing moderators even for existing subforums. For example, FEM subforum mod has been inactive for some time.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

NewJoker wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:01 pm There are missing moderators even for existing subforums. For example, FEM subforum mod has been inactive for some time.
Moderators are usually global for all forums. There are developers with special permissions for various development activities, but any moderator can approve first posts, ban users, move posts, etc., across the entire forum.

I stay away from topics like FEM and Material because I do not use them, but I could moderate there if I chose to.

Gene
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

manos wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:49 am Of cource Subject creation will be supervised by moderators .
What do you think friends ?
Moderators generally keep a pretty light touch. Topics and posts that are obviously spam or in the wrong place are dealt with.

Poorly written posts or poorly explained issues are typically not moderated but instead are handled by the experts who respond. (Sometimes those experts are also moderators, but they are using their "expert" qualifications, not their moderator status.)

Strict moderation would be fairly difficult in a global forum due to language and translation issues.

Gene
manos

Post by manos »

NewJoker wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:22 am ... Currently, the discussions about developed add-on workbenches and macros take place here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewforum.php?f=9
This forum informs users about progress of the projects. Also it is used for suggestions and ideas for new projects.
I am "talking" about a forum with the questioning posts about using specific items e.g. some WB or some Macros.
Maybe it could be implemented with tags.
Do they exist tags in FC.forums?
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

manos wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:32 pm This forum informs users about progress of the projects. Also it is used for suggestions and ideas for new projects.
I am "talking" about a forum with the questioning posts about using specific items e.g. some WB or some Macros.
Theoretically yes but threads about particular workbenches and macros there are often the place where people also ask questions, report bugs and so on. However, it's not very convenient to keep all the discussions about a workbench/macro in such a large thread.

manos wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:32 pm Maybe it could be implemented with tags.
Do they exist tags in FC.forums?
Unfortunately, there's no such functionality here. In fact, forums rarely have it. It's more common in places like GitHub issue reports section.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

what's the issue with asking in the help forum?