v0.20 All my TechDraw views are invisible ?

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
techGuy

v0.20 All my TechDraw views are invisible ?

Post by techGuy »

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.29177 (Git) Snap 66
Build type: Release
Branch: tag: 0.20
Hash: 68e337670e227889217652ddac593c93b5e8dc94
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.3, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 7.1.1, OCC 7.6.2

My project has 3 TechDraw pages with 6 views. Everything viewed properly. I closed FreeCAD, rebooted and reopened my project. All the views were then invisible. I've tried toggling the visibility of everything and I've tried recomputing things, all to no avail.

The pages, views and dimensions are all listed properly in the Model pane. But the TechDraw pages are empty when I view them.

How do I get my views to display again ?

How do I tag this post as an issue ?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: v0.20 All my TechDraw views are invisible ?

Post by chrisb »

techGuy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:00 am How do I get my views to display again ?

How do I tag this post as an issue ?
I don't rate it as an issue yet. You have probably set KeepUpdated=false and now you have to use the green RedrawPage button for an initial redraw.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

techGuy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:00 am The pages, views and dimensions are all listed properly in the Model pane. But the TechDraw pages are empty when I view them.
Do you have tabs for the pages? Do you have a tab, but only see the template? Are there small empty view frames on the page?

A file or at least a screen grab would help diagnose the problem.
techGuy

Post by techGuy »

I toggled Keep Updated and the views appeared again.
techGuy

Post by techGuy »

Every time I re restart FreeCAD and open this object, I have to Toggle Frames and toggle Keep Updated to get my views to appear.
techGuy

Post by techGuy »

wandererfan wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:41 pm
techGuy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:00 am The pages, views and dimensions are all listed properly in the Model pane. But the TechDraw pages are empty when I view them.
Do you have tabs for the pages?
Yes, each drawing page has a tab.
Do you have a tab, but only see the template? Are there small empty view frames on the page?
The page is blank when I open it.
A file or at least a screen grab would help diagnose the problem.
The work is proprietary. I can't share it publicly
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

techGuy wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:07 pm Every time I re restart FreeCAD and open this object, I have to Toggle Frames and toggle Keep Updated to get my views to appear.
Is the file saved with the Page's KeepUpdated property set to false? That would cause what you describe.

You could also check your preferences on the General tab for Update With 3D. That should be checked.
techGuy

Post by techGuy »

wandererfan wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:28 pm
techGuy wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:07 pm Every time I re restart FreeCAD and open this object, I have to Toggle Frames and toggle Keep Updated to get my views to appear.
Is the file saved with the Page's KeepUpdated property set to false? That would cause what you describe.

You could also check your preferences on the General tab for Update With 3D. That should be checked.
I'll check these and get back to you.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

I agree techGuy, that the behavior is at the moment (a little bit) cumbersome.

- when saved with KeepUpdated --> loading the file --> a full recompute, which can take pretty long, especially when you have many sections and/or assemblies.

- when saved without KeepUpdated --> loading the file --> TechDraw pages are empty.

I would be a very nice feature, when the geometry is calculated and KeepUpdated is switched off, then the geometry is still saved. This will maybe also smash the issue, that when KeepUpdated is switched off, the positions off the dimensions are not calculated.

Greetings
user1234
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I too was surprised when I reopened my first file which used KeepUpdated=false. However, it makes very clear that we have a parametric cut here. So it may be nice to place one or two buttons in the middle of 3D view for "Recompute this page" and "Recompute all pages", the latter to be applied to non updated pages only.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.