Adding Drawing Dimensioning

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
karinannfl

Adding Drawing Dimensioning

Post by karinannfl »

Hello:
I am trying to add the Drawing Dimension addon to my Freecad 0.15 version running on an XP machine. I did this some time ago, but had to reload Freecac 0.15 because of some issues with my computer. Unfortunately the re-install wiped out the Drawing Dimension addon. So I have been trying unsuccessfully to re-install Drawing Dimension. I went to the github site https://github.com/hamish2014/FreeCAD_d ... mensioning and clicked on CODE and downloaded the zip file. I unzipped the file in new directory, and this where things go wrong. The unzip worked OK but now I am confused as to what to copy over to the C:/Program Files/FreeCAD 0.15/Mod/DrawingDimensioning folder. Can anyone help explain to me what I am doing wrong???
Thank you,
Karin Anne Johnson
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Adding Drawing Dimensioning

Post by adrianinsaval »

copy the entire folder into the Mod directory, you can also install at the user level instead of at the system level, see https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Installing_ ... ingle_user
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I hope you have good reasons to use FreeCAD 0.15. We have now 0.20 and things have massively improved. If you use PartDesign, you have to learn a new workflow though.
If you really want to stay with the old style of modeling, you should at least update to the latest 0.16.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
karinannfl

Post by karinannfl »

Thank you both for the speedy reply. I managed to figure out what I was doing wrong. I did find a YouTube video that showed the correct procedure and followed it to successfully install the addon. I have a Windows 7 machine that I have FreeCAD 0.20 running on, but I don't like to use it too much as
the screen size on my laptop Windows 7 machine is a bit too small and it gets crowded with all of the icons showing. Probably need a separate monitor for that machine.
Thanks again to the forum folks.

Karin
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:55 am If you use PartDesign, you have to learn a new workflow though.
also drawing dimensioning wb doesn't work on 0.20 and drawing workbench is considered deprecated
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:50 pm also drawing dimensioning wb doesn't work on 0.20 and drawing workbench is considered deprecated
Oh yes, of course. I forgot to mention that. But there is now the great TechDraw workbench as a better replacement - which you most probably know, if you have used 0.20.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.