V0.20/Assembly4 Challenge--Creo Motorbike

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: V0.20/Assembly4 Challenge--Creo Motorbike (work in progress) Update #9

Post by easyw-fc »

ppemawm wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:37 pm This is the current state of the assembly showing all sub-assemblies and individual components that are included in the top assembly model tree.
Hi @ppemawm
is it possible to export the all complex assembly in STEP format?
If so, re-loading the STEP file, all the parts will be present and in the right position?
That would be a tough test for FC interoperability...
ppemawm
Veteran

Re: V0.20/Assembly4 Challenge--Creo Motorbike

Post by ppemawm »

easyw-fc wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:54 pm is it possible to export the all complex assembly in STEP format?
I successfully exported the top assembly as a .step file by selecting the Assembly4 Assembly container. It took about 4 minutes.
It then took about 8 minutes to open the .step file (218 Mb) which is about the same as the original opening time with partial link loading (12 minutes otherwise).
As you can see from the image below that only a very few of the parts were out of position, missing, or lacked
the original colors. But, other than that, pretty amazing if you ask me.
easyw-fc wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:54 pm If so, re-loading the STEP file, all the parts will be present and in the right position?
.<br />Part of the frame mirroring is missing and default color only.  <br />A rear foot rest which was a link mirror is out of place as well.<br />'Set' colors on some of the faces on the fuel tank were also not included and all of the Appearance materials were lost.<br />.
Part of the frame mirroring is missing and default color only.
A rear foot rest which was a link mirror is out of place as well.
'Set' colors on some of the faces on the fuel tank were also not included and all of the Appearance materials were lost.
Capture55.JPG (320.25 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

since the assembly is just a part container exporting it to step should work well, can you identify which objects aren't in the correct position (or are missing) and what is different about to them to make this happen?
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:50 pm can you identify which objects aren't in the correct position (or are missing) and what is different about to them to make this happen?
Please see comments in the caption of the previous image.

It seems there is a problem with the link mirror (Scale=-1) when exporting to a .step file, either missing or damaged or out of place.
I have not researched it since it is a bit confusing and rarely used. Or it's me not knowing how to use it properly.

Assembly4 provides a body mirror which seems more reliable and straight forward.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

ppemawm wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:08 am It seems there is a problem with the link mirror (Scale=-1) when exporting to a .step file, either missing or damaged or out of place.
I have not researched it since it is a bit confusing and rarely used. Or it's me not knowing how to use it properly.
Your mention of Scale=-1 in an earlier post inspired me to start using it too. But I found out Scale is just a shortcut to set all dimensions of Scale Vector at the same time and to mirror I need to set just one of the Scale Vector dimensions to -1. If I change one dimension in Scale Vector to -1 which is logical to mirror then there is no change in the Scale property. This is in my opinion a little confusing. I think in this case Scale should change to "Undefined" or "Differential".

I find the possibility to mirror links using the Scale Vector is a very usable feature. More usable than the possibility to scale. So I would suggest that the Scale property is removed and that Scale Vector is not forced to be hidden.
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

ppemawm wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:08 am I find the possibility to mirror links using the Scale Vector is a very usable feature. More usable than the possibility to scale. So I would suggest that the Scale property is removed and that Scale Vector is not forced to be hidden.
I realized now that Scale=-1 isn't that bad. In combination with a 180° rotation and a rotation axis set to the normal of the mirror plan I have an easy way to get a custom mirror plane.