Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zolko
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by Zolko »

jpg87 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:04 pm
Zolko wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:25 am what happens when you open the file in regular FreeCAD (v0.19 or v0.20) ?
The file opens with errors, then the final result is correct.
A FreeCAD file has 2 parts:
  • the geometry at the time of saving, as Brep format
  • the creation history, which describe the actions/command leading to the geometry
What this means is that LinkDaily treats OCC the same way as Master, which is good. But the file cannot be reconstructed because Master doesn't recognise some commands/keywords from LinkDaily. Therefore, the file is frozen with the available geometry, and looses its parametric relationships.

chrisb wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:14 pm You must not open a realthunder-file in master (vice versa is ok).
Is this documented ? Are we sure we want to go further down this road ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Zolko wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:42 am
chrisb wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:14 pm You must not open a realthunder-file in master (vice versa is ok).
Is this documented ? Are we sure we want to go further down this road ?
On opening a master-file in Linkstage3 (LS) the file is transformed to some new format. Changing something to a previous step in a model affects later attachments differently in LS than in master. From that it seems obvious that a recompute in LS can yield different results than doing the same in master.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Zolko wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:42 am Are we sure we want to go further down this road ?
What makes you think this is what we want?
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:53 pm
Zolko wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:42 am Are we sure we want to go further down this road ?
What makes you think this is what we want?
well, the fact that the LinkStage3 files are incompatible with Master seems to be taken very casually.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Realthunder took that decision a long time ago, it's his fork so what are we supposed to do? Also, it's an experimental branch, expecting full compatibility is unreasonable, how will he add features if it's supposed to be compatible? Users of the fork should know this.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Zolko wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:42 am because Master doesn't recognise some commands/keywords from LinkDaily...
...and how is Master supposed to recognise things that only exists in Linkstage3 and do not exist in Master?
As a Linkstage3 user I am perfectly comfortable with (and well aware of) the fact that moving to Linkstage3 is mostly one way thing...

Well not quite black and white ;)
statement below is probably bit more accurate:

There are problems with some Master files when opened in Linkstage3
Some Linkstage3 files work perfectly OK in Master.
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

Zolko wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:42 am A FreeCAD file has 2 parts:

the geometry at the time of saving, as Brep format
the creation history, which describe the actions/command leading to the geometry

What this means is that LinkDaily treats OCC the same way as Master, which is good. But the file cannot be reconstructed because Master doesn't recognise some commands/keywords from LinkDaily. Therefore, the file is frozen with the available geometry, and looses its parametric relationships.
Thank you for the explanations.
I knew that there was incompatibility in this sense between LinkBranch and Master, but I thought that it was only due to the functions of LinkBranch not yet integrated into Master.

Edit:
I share Bambuko's views.
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

jpg87 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:58 am I'm glad I was able to make the drawing below entirely in PartDesign LinkBranch.
Thank you @realthunder !
anyway....
as your project doesn't utilise Assembly3 and is all about Linkstage3 branch, this post and all the comments on it would probably be better as a separate dedicated thread in Link branch sub-forum? (https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewforum.php?f=44)

Assembly3 can be used in either Master or LinkStage3 branch and all these comments about compatibility between the two are bound to be confusing to Master branch users who use Assembly3 workbench?
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

bambuko wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:22 am this post and all the comments on it would probably be better as a separate dedicated thread in Link branch sub-forum?
It's not false ! Although I intend to continue the project with Assembly 3, but it may be long because I draw little at the moment.
I'm still going to report (in the right place this time) a file size issue compared to @ppemawm's with "official" FC20.
(https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=67784 )
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

jpg87 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:02 am ... file size issue compared to @ppemawm's with "official" FC20...
Yes, that's very interesting - I am looking forward to your report!