STEP file export with broken fillets

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
user1234
Veteran

Re: STEP file export with broken fillets

Post by user1234 »

keithsloan52 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:59 pm HOW MANY TIMES is this issue going to be raised?
I would say less then 20 times, maybe around 10 times. It is not that often.

keithsloan52 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:00 am Sorry but that is totally out of sync with reality - DELUSIONAL. There needs to be an online check at start up or something like an email distribution list that people can sign up to be notified of latest release, serious bugs etc,
Do you not a little bit overreacting? It is already fixed in 0.19, so i do not see the issue to update FreeCAD. When you have to work with commercial CADs with regressions (which is also common), you often have to wait many years and then you also have to pay about that (yes, you pay for repairing the regressions).

Greetings
user1234
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Just a reminder here that we're all in this together and to tone down the inflammatory rhetoric because it obviously leads to counter-productive results. Thank you.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

you have 1 person against the idea, I only said it has to be user friendly and opt-in and chrisb only said it's reasonable to ask people to go and update if they ask for help in the forum.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

There has to be some other way;
How about:
When/if the user creates a help request and submits their FreeCAD info, could that be used in some way. Could the data be analyzed, scanned and trigger some feedback for specific version issues.
This could be even more effective than internet based checking because it has no boundaries. For instance my Workstation has no internet connection but if I attach my FreeCAD info to a post I could get feedback about my version. This would be great for any computer stuck behind a firewall or not available for connection.

If my statement seemed extreme (about auto log-on) Oops!, it's only because some day I want FreeCAD in public schools and they won't touch it if TCP is included. I will be lucky to get in the door with open source code, their IT won't like it. I will probably need to spend some money on a locked version that has been independently verified. I hope to try when TNP is history.
Thanks
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freedman wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:12 am When/if the user creates a help request and submits their FreeCAD info, could that be used in some way. Could the data be analyzed, scanned and trigger some feedback for specific version issues.
In theory this is well possible, but in practice it seems as far away as manned space flight. Quite some development effort would go into such a project, which I would prefer to be invested into FreeCAD itself, and even if we had such a framework: it has to be maintained; to be really helpful, possibly on each commit and on each newly answered help request which isn't yet in the data base.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

it has to be maintained; to be really helpful, possibly on each commit and on each newly answered help request which isn't yet in the data base.
I wasn't thinking about that kind of detail, just a line drawn at some glaring known issues. I get it, there is no time and no energy to do this now but sometimes it's more important to come up with an alternate concept.
ChrisVee

Post by ChrisVee »

I didn't expect this to start such a heated debate. I'm sorry that my question apparently offended so many people.
I installed the newest version and the problem is fixed. Thanks a lot to
Roy_043 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:32 pm I can't reproduce.
and
easyw-fc wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:34 pm it seems your file is from 0.19R24291 (Git)
for their help!

I promise, that in the future I will make sure to install the latest version before posting any questions in this forum.
I want to mention though, that prior to posting I tried to find a solution for the problem with Google as well as in this forum. Unfortunately I couldn't get to the posts where this issue seems to have been raised endless times already, because the search function of the forum results in this:
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: export step problem.
Believe me I tried a lot of other variations, too.

Again, please accept my apologies for wasting anybody's time. And also thanks a lot for the help provided anyways!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

unfortunately the forum's built in search function is absolute trash so you have to use google or some other external search engine, but unfortunately it seems the threads were the relevant discussions happened are not very discoverable, so I'll say that it's not your fault that you didn't find info about this but you should get used to updating to latest version before making bug reports or asking for help, at least for FOSS software were it doesn't cost you anything to do it, I guess this practice wouldn't be viable for paid software.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

indeed
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
mconsidine

Post by mconsidine »

Fwiw, I had an object that rendered in FC correctly, but had broken/partial parts which had fillets. I was using OCC 7.5.1 on Ubuntu. I had a suspicion the STEP conversion was the issue and not the model.

Be getting the latest version of the OCCT code (7.8.0) and compiling/installing it myself, I was able get what appears to be a correct STEP file. I ran this using the latest source code of FC (0.21.xxxxx)

(I'm on a cell phone right now so can't give the requisite info block)

HTH,
mconsidine