STEP file export with broken fillets

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
keithsloan52
Veteran

Re: STEP file export with broken fillets

Post by keithsloan52 »

Just wonder if FreeCAD for major versions should have a function to check if the major version is the latest?
Would mean accessing the internet on startup to check and a fail safe if internet was not available.

Lots of other software pops up a warning if one is not on the latest version and offers to download an update, feature request?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

As a member of the forum I want people coming here with the latest version installed but as a user I hate "update available" pop ups. If this is ever implemented it must be non interrupting and have a disable option. A note in the start page about the latest available version and the installed version could be a nice way IMO. probably best to provide a compile time option to disable the check by default because it wouldn't make sense to have this check when running a distro provided version.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:01 pm As a member of the forum I want people coming here with the latest version installed
Sorry but that is totally out of sync with reality - DELUSIONAL. There needs to be an online check at start up or something like an email distribution list that people can sign up to be notified of latest release, serious bugs etc,
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

keithsloan52 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:00 am
adrianinsaval wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:01 pm As a member of the forum I want people coming here with the latest version installed
Sorry but that is totally out of sync with reality - DELUSIONAL. There needs to be an online check at start up or something like an email distribution list that people can sign up to be notified of latest release, serious bugs etc,
These are two different things. For a normal user a check for updates may be convenient, but that's a passive thing. When a user comes actively to the forum asking other FreeCAD users for help, it is fair enough to ask for some assistance on his side.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

keithsloan52 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:00 am Sorry but that is totally out of sync with reality - DELUSIONAL. There needs to be an online check at start up or something like an email distribution list that people can sign up to be notified of latest release, serious bugs etc,
I didn't say I expect that to happen on its own, just that it would make life easier for helpers, and that part of my post was the part of me in favor of update checking, then I just mentioned how my desire as a forum helper conflicts with my annoyance as an user when I get an update pop up. That being said chrisb is right too, if you come asking for help you have to put some effort on your part too, half the threads in help forum end with "try a newer version"
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

chrisb wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:01 pm
keithsloan52 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:00 am
These are two different things. For a normal user a check for updates may be convenient, but that's a passive thing. When a user comes actively to the forum asking other FreeCAD users for help, it is fair enough to ask for some assistance on his side.
Sorry guys - I think you have your blinkers on.

If a user has a problem with a piece of software more of less the first thing they should be doing is checking if they are using the latest version of the software.

People don't always come to the FreeCAD forum, witness the FreeCAD Facebook group. Some just give up and bad mouth the software,
lots of examples on the web with people stating I tried FreeCAD but gave up too buggy.

Look at the number of times the export STEP issue due to OCC regression came up. Some times they don't even report the about FreeCAD info.
Lots of times people responded checking their own levels, very few pointing out straight aways that this was a known problem. This is all a waste of everybody's time
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

what's your point? None of us has said something contrary to what you said now.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Would mean accessing the internet on startup to check and a fail safe if internet was not available.
If FreeCAD ever gets to a point that it logs on automatically, I would branch the next day and I think there would be many others. There has to be some other way; I know most folks don't read the Announcements section but "Known OS specific Issues" has 93454 clicks, maybe this can be expanded to "OS, STEP import/export".
My 2 cents...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freedman wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:11 pm I know most folks don't read the Announcements section but "Known OS specific Issues" has 93454 clicks, maybe this can be expanded to "OS, STEP import/export".
I have added it to the Known OS specific issues. It doesn't really meet the topic, but who will notice if he uses just one OS? So I will leave it there and remove it after 0.20 is out for a while.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

freedman wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:11 pm
If FreeCAD ever gets to a point that it logs on automatically, I would branch the next day and I think there would be many others. There has to be some other way; I know most folks don't read the Announcements section but "Known OS specific Issues" has 93454 clicks, maybe this can be expanded to "OS, STEP import/export".
My 2 cents...
Don't understand why people have aversion to a check for latest version, one could always just ignore.
But then again Announcements section and Known OS specific issues don't work for me

Given people are against the idea I would settle for a email distribution list that sent out an email when a new version was available,
people don't have to sign up.