What to do with Plot

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Sanguinario_Joe

What to do with Plot

Post by Sanguinario_Joe »

I really though Plot was not used anymore in the core, but I was totally wrong (see https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull ... -868694008). Thus, removing Plot is not the solution. There are at least 2 options:
  • We keep just the Plot module here (i.e. freecad.plot.Plot), and get the workbench (the tools to manipulate those plots) in its own repo (https://github.com/FreeCAD/freecad.plot)
  • We get everything (module and workbench) shipped here and remove Plot from the Addon Manager
I rather take the 1st way, but it is not a strong opinion. Just let me know!
user1234
Veteran

Re: What to do with Plot

Post by user1234 »

I have no GitHub account, so i write it here.

I never compiled FreeCAD with Plot. So i did a little test run with Plot. When i start the Shaft Wizard, he starts normal. But it seems that is broken anyway. I get an ton of errors, sometimes adding a column did not work. The forces were sometimes on the false shaft element, ...... . But the most important thing was, that i did not create a PartDesign Body/Object.
0.png
0.png (8.01 KiB) Viewed 979 times

And the feature itself was broken.

Code: Select all

<PartDesignGui> Utils.cpp(73): no body found

And on the top, when tried to plot something (with compiled PlotWorkbench), i get the message to install the Plot addon.
1.png
1.png (20.02 KiB) Viewed 979 times

So i would wipe the Shaft Wizard it from PartDesign also. Also the Shaft Wizard uses FEM constraints without a FEM Analysis Container, which is useless. And a analysis tool has nothing to do in PartDesign. This things should always be separated.

And also one generally technical thing: I never used the Shaft Wizard, so i can only guess, if the things below are included.

I guess the plot only makes a F(x), M(x), ..... means forces and so on from a running x. I you do that on discontinuous (and also relative discontinuous) elements, then you must include factors for notch effects, roughness of surfaces, size, application, ....... . If this is not included the calculation is invalid (often extremely). And If you do not know that and see, ahhh that result is OK (sigma is OK), then it could be dangerous! So my conclusion is that if you want do make a shaft, you should do it with normal FreeCAD workbenches and if you want to analyze it, you should do it yourself or with FEM. And if anyone is familiar with FreeCAD, you can use later the Wizard with the addon anyway (if it works).

Greetings
user1234