Why does FC use consecutive keystroke shortcuts ?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Why does FC use consecutive keystroke shortcuts ?

Post by yorik »

IIRC in QT T,M works, Shift+M too, but T+M not. You can only use + with modifier keys (Ctrl, Shift, Alt)

Using single-letters gives 26 possible shortcuts. Don't forget even if you are in one workbench, the commands from all other loaded workbenches stay available. This is pretty powerful as advanced users don't even need to switch workbenches anymore, once you know the key shortcut. In this situation the 26 shortcuts are quickly swallowed up, soon we'll even have workbenches with more than 26 commands (if not already :) )

Using Shift+, Ctrl+, Alt+ gives 78 more. Using Shift+Ctrl, Alt+Ctrl or even Shift+Alt+Ctrl gives an additional 78. But that seems to become crazily complicated. Remember "L,I" for line or "M,V" for move is IMHO easier than Shift+L or Ctrl+M. Many apps with many shortcuts go that way too. And combining 2 letters gives 676 possibilities, which seem comfortable. But QT can go up to 4

What we could do, at some point, which could be nice, is a way for users to import/export a complete keyboard shortcuts config. So one could carry their own custom config around...
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Why does FC use consecutive keystroke shortcuts ?

Post by chrisb »

yorik wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:31 pm Don't forget even if you are in one workbench, the commands from all other loaded workbenches stay available. This is pretty powerful
This is indeed very powerful, alas, it is a problem at the same time. Using two-key-codes provides easily enough possibilities, but the situation changes dramatically if they should be mnemonic.
I rather don't want to learn the shortcuts, they should be easy to remember, like I know them from sketcher now with T for tangency and C for coincidence.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.