IconThemes

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: IconThemes

Post by triplus »

Hi @Wsk8.

First remove the IconThemes module. After copy and paste the code snippet in FreeCAD Python console and restart FreeCAD:

Code: Select all

p = FreeCAD.ParamGet("User parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/Bitmaps/Theme")
p.SetString("Name", "None")
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p276881

Such result is what you are after?
Wsk8

Post by Wsk8 »

Executing the python commands didn't worked, but after installing IconThemes (only installing) the issue was gone and now the icons are correct.

mfg
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Wsk8 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:37 am Executing the python commands didn't worked, but after installing IconThemes (only installing) the issue was gone and now the icons are correct.

mfg
Actually yes, as installing IconThemes module will currently automatically set FreeCAD-default icon theme on FreeCAD start. And therefore icons from your desktop environment icon theme won't get used on a toolbar like File.

P.S. Such support was enabled on Linux a while back, but i have seen a few reports in the past, where people reported this behavior as representing an issue for them.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I am pleased to announce that after a few years of progressing this area we have reached a milestone. There is still some work left to do but FreeCAD now has a proper cross-platform icon themes support. Thanks to all involved in any way in the past. In addition a high quality icon theme pack in .rcc format was made (currently targeting FreeCAD 0.18):

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 90#p306251

P.S. People interested in compiling an icon theme pack can find instructions here and here. Note that the same approach could likely be used for things like enabling translations (external modules).
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

There is a lot of info spread out in this thread. I'm trying to understand how to test this Addon/Module. It's very sparse documentation since it's still under development. Can someone create a summary post of where things are now and how to test?

Specifically having issues with this notion of .rcc files
For the demonstration purposes demo.rcc (for legacy support DemoTheme.zip) icon theme was provided. Move the demo.rcc (for legacy support extract the DemoTheme.zip archive) to an appropriate location.
ref: https://github.com/triplus/IconThemes/issues/3
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

The Addon shows the README.md page of each Addon/Module/Workbench, what I'm proposing in https://github.com/triplus/IconThemes/issues/3 is to slightly improve the documentation that is there, not write comprehensive technical writing. It makes the testing of this Addon much more viable for testers as well, like myself. If you're interested in me testing it...?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

What i imagine happened is, yesterday you have seen:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 51#p331400

And therefore in less then 24h you were able to figure out things like, there must be some sort of FreeCAD module, managing FreeCAD icon packs. Indeed there was one. You manged to enable the demo theme. Documentation therefore can't be all that sparse as you say. Now i guess you need a more complete icon pack? AFIAK there are currently two of them available:

One only supporting legacy option for now, that is why the legacy option is still there:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18417

And one already available in .rcc format:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=34687

P.S. Try to figure the next step out. If something won't work, ask, i can write further instructions tomorrow.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

JFYI, I'm not a huge fan of this type of 'Laura Croft Tombraider' style of documentations. AKA searching for clues buried in long murky phpbb threads that need to be waded through while the README.md of the repo is desert sparse that resutls may lead to an anti-climactic treasure. (ok, sorry for waxing polemic)
I prefer documentation that explains how to test even if it's in an alpha state; what known issues are; where more work is needed, and ways to help contribute. I'm trying to help with getting there, but it seems my attempts are not so welcomed.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Screenshot as follows:
IconTheme dialog window (top left)
IconTheme(legacy) dialog window (bottom left)
Terminal showing the content of ~/.FreeCAD/Mod/IconTheme/ (there is no .FreeCAD/Gui directory, does it need to be manually created?)

Note: the top left dialog has a checkbox that can't be unchecked (no response when clicking on it)

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18095 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 27cb54009b57c1938f7ff97026c8b35c1688233f
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

IconTheme latest revision:

commit 42d9c1d6c28d7abc40ac576ee6c2e94970b3f912 (HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/HEAD)
Author: triplus <triplus@users.noreply.github.com>
Date:   Fri Mar 22 18:38:13 2019 +0100

Check if directory exist
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

If you zoom in on the image, you can see

b'FreeCAD default\n'
so, some sort of formatting issue.