Cosmetic Vertex Alpha Release

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Cosmetic Vertex Alpha Release

Post by wandererfan »

Preliminary (alpha) versions of TechDraw_CosmeticVertex, TechDraw_Midpoints and TechDraw_Quadrant are available in master branch.

These functions allow the creation of otherwise impossible dimensions.

Test reports are very welcome.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Re: Cosmetic Vertex Alpha Release

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

wandererfan wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:05 pm Preliminary (alpha) versions of TechDraw_CosmeticVertex, TechDraw_Midpoints and TechDraw_Quadrant are available in master branch.

Thank you so much Wandererfan. Great and helpful cosmetic vertex.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

wandererfan wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:05 pm Preliminary (alpha) versions of TechDraw_CosmeticVertex, TechDraw_Midpoints and TechDraw_Quadrant are available in master branch.

In the wiki page, I personally recommend you to avoid adding a "Note: introduced in version 0.19". This information is already provided by the right floating box, the "GuiCommand" template. Basically, you are duplicating the information unnecessarily.

In TechDraw Quadrant, the second note, "This tool can actually be used on any Edge, not just circles", should be in the "How to use" section as well. In my opinion, you should fully describe the tool in that section. "Notes" should be reserved for information that really can't be integrated easily into other sections.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
aapo

Post by aapo »

Thanks a lot! This new functionality seems to fix many problem cases even in its preliminary alpha state! For example:
FreeCAD-filletmodel-TechDraw-CosmeticVertices.png
FreeCAD-filletmodel-TechDraw-CosmeticVertices.png (29.53 KiB) Viewed 1854 times

I tested quadrants, midpoints, and arbitrary cosmeticvertices, and all of them worked the way I expected. So, seems good to me, notwithstanding the fact that I found no way to edit or remove any of the cosmeticvertices. Selecting a vertex and pressing delete removes the whole View, and removing vertices from the list in the View properties does nothing. I hope deleting CosmeticVertices will be added in the future, it'd make it easier to correct misplaced vertices. Also, adding "CosmeticEdges" with thin dot-dashed line between arbitrary vertices would be super helpful! :D

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.16883 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: aedb888ae3bb001175fe86211b6cfb826e31a918
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

aapo wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:47 pm So, seems good to me, notwithstanding the fact that I found no way to edit or remove any of the cosmeticvertices. Selecting a vertex and pressing delete removes the whole View, and removing vertices from the list in the View properties does nothing. I hope deleting CosmeticVertices will be added in the future, it'd make it easier to correct misplaced vertices. Also, adding "CosmeticEdges" with thin dot-dashed line between arbitrary vertices would be super helpful! :D
Glad you like it. CosmeticEraser is being tested. CosmeticEdges are in development too.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Great additions!