FreeCAD 0.20 is released

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

FreeCAD 0.20 is released

Post by uwestoehr »

The FreeCAD Development community is proud to announce the release of FreeCAD 0.20.

Over the past year, many developers, testers, and users have worked on improving nearly every aspect of FreeCAD, adding dozens of new features and fixing hundreds of bugs.

FreeCAD 0.20 is available for Windows, MacOS, and Linux and can be downloaded from freecad.org.

Explore the release notes for an in-depth look at what's new. Highlights include:
  • A completely rewritten Addon Manager.
  • A new type of add-on called a Preference Pack allows user preferences to be saved and distributed via the Addon Manager.
  • A new section cut tool enables solid, persistent cuts of parts and assemblies.
  • Arch now supports 2D data when importing from and exporting to IFC files.
  • The new Draft Hatch command creates hatches on the faces of a selected object.
  • The FEM workbench now fully supports the Elmer solver for performing electrostatic calculations, and the Calculix solver can now perform buckling analysis.
  • Interoperability with OpenSCAD has been improved to more fully support import of SCAD and CSG files.
  • The Part workbench now supports tapered extrusion of inner structures.
  • Part Design lofts, pads, and pockets have many new options including tapered pads and pockets, and an improved user interface.
  • The Path Workbench features a number of interface refinements, as well as improved stability and language translations.
  • Sketcher features a new split tool, rounded and centered rectangles.
  • Spreadsheets now incorporate a built-in option to create a "configuration table" for simplified parametric design.
  • TechDraw includes more than 30 new tools, offering new cosmetic features to enhance drawings.
FreeCAD wouldn’t be possible without its amazing community of developers, testers, and users. Thanks to everyone who has helped FreeCAD become the premiere cross-platform Open Source 3D CAD solution.

-----------------

Preparations for the next release of FreeCAD - FreeCAD 1.0 - have already begun. Most exciting is a new development branch specifically for addressing the so-called "topological naming problem." In this branch, code created by FreeCAD contributor Lei Zheng (a.k.a. "realthunder") is being tested and incorporated into FreeCAD. This code will greatly improve the geometric stability when changing a design.
This page holds more info about the development goals.
user1234
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD 0.20 is released

Post by user1234 »

Thank you devs for the amazing work!!!
Also thank you all wiki/documentations writers, helpers mods and testers!!!

The improvements you make are very amazing! Also i am very excited about the next steps!

Greetings
user1234
DDM

Post by DDM »

Hello,

I downloaded FC_0.20 in Windows 10 x64 after the announcement and there were not problems with the installation and the software started without problems.

In these days I need to use FC but there is a problem when I launch the freecad.exe.

The programme starts, but the window disappears after the commad calls FreeCADGuiInit.py
Probably it is due to a recent Windows update.

The same problem with the weekly build "FreeCAD_weekly-builds-29277-2022-06-23-conda-Windows-x86_64-py38".

FC Starts only without GUI and using the FreeCADCmd.exe

Without GUI I don't know how I can find the FC info.

I know only this:

Window 10 - version 21H1 - Build 19043.1766
FC 0.20 - Lib0.20R29177

Thank you in advance for your reply,
Marco
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

@DDM, such issues are often caused by the drivers of the graphics card. Perhaps the Known OS specific issues page can help you further.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
DDM

Post by DDM »

Thanks Chrisb for your reply,

I have the Nvidia Card, but it is disabled on my system, I use the graphic card of the motherboard.
I will try on another PC the weekly build for 0.20.

It is strange because I never had problems with FC and the graphic card in the past.
I tried an old version of the weekly build for FC019 and the problem on the start persists.

I remember a similar problem in 2018 always on windows and related, maybe, to QT, I will try to find the discussion in the forum,

Thanks,
Marco
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

@DDM do you perhaps have a multimonitor setup? we've seen issues with that, either way it might be better to create a new thread when reporting issues since discussions can get all mixed up and hard to follow when done in such generalized threads as this one.
DDM

Post by DDM »

Hello @Adrianinsaval,

yes, I have a multimonitor setup, but I don't konw if that was the problem.
I checked the weekly build on a different pc and there weren't problems with FC_020.

After Chrisb's advice, I updated the drivers of the graphic card, re-installed FC and reboot the system.
Now FC starts as usual.

Sorry If I posted in this thread, I thought that was related to an update of windows 10 after the released of FC 0.20.

Thanks,
Marco
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

DDM wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:48 am After Chrisb's advice, I updated the drivers of the graphic card, re-installed FC and reboot the system.
Now FC starts as usual.
Good to see that it works now!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ifohancroft

Post by ifohancroft »

Congratulations on the new release, and thank you!
I like making, breaking and modding stuff, using a soldering iron, code or both. https://ifohancroft.com
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

very late correction for the release page text (or at least something to keep in mind for the next release), it says:
Linux
Snap package: Install the beta release via snap install freecad --candidate (prepend sudo if necessary on your distro)
Flatpak package: Install the beta release via
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
flatpak install flathub org.freecadweb.FreeCAD
the beta adjetive should be removed as well as the --candidate flag for snap
@uwestoehr or maybe @Kunda1, I think you had write permissions for this kind of stuff?