[FreeCAD 0.20] a beta release for Windows is available

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: [FreeCAD 0.20] a beta release for Windows is available

Post by wmayer »

Nothing happens, nothing visible and also no info in the console.
I don't think it is worth to investigate why, since one ca use the Gui one does not even need FreeCAD to run to check a *.pyd file.
I have tested it right now and it works fine for me.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:02 pm
Nothing happens, nothing visible and also no info in the console.
I don't think it is worth to investigate why, since one ca use the Gui one does not even need FreeCAD to run to check a *.pyd file.
I have tested it right now and it works fine for me.
I retested on another PC and also there id doesn't work. I took this release:
https://github.com/lucasg/Dependencies/ ... ag/v1.11.1
and there the Dependencies_x64_Release.zip

then I executed this in FC:

Code: Select all

>>> import os
>>> os.system("D:\Download\Dependencies\Dependencies.exe")
The only thing that happens is a "0" as output in the Python console:
FreeCAD_J6jx53gwKs.png
FreeCAD_J6jx53gwKs.png (9.56 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
(It is strange that the Python console says it is on Win32 despite the PC is 64bit.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

os.system("D:\Download\Dependencies\Dependencies.exe")
You have to use the GUI version, of course.

os.system(r"D:\Download\Dependencies\DependenciesGUI.exe")
You also have to be careful with the backslashes to either double them, use slashes instead or use the r as prefix (raw string). In this case it doesn't matter because \D is not an escape sequence.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:13 pm You have to use the GUI version, of course.

os.system("D:\Download\Dependencies\DependenciesGUI.exe")
But that's what I meant - with this GUI version, I don't need to run FC. I can just start the DependenciesGUI.exe by double-clicking on it in the file explorer. Then I only have to drag in the *.pyd file.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

uwestoehr wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:17 pm But that's what I meant - with this GUI version, I don't need to run FC. I can just start the DependenciesGUI.exe by double-clicking on it in the file explorer. Then I only have to drag in the *.pyd file.
The point is that FreeCAD internally extends the PATH environment variable. By running DependenciesGUI.exe from within FreeCAD as child process it's guaranteed that it has set the same environment variables as FreeCAD.exe.

By running DependenciesGUI outside of FreeCAD you cannot be sure that it finds 3rd party DLLs.
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

I don't know if it is related to this topic, but can this function add to windows version?

https://stackoverflow.com/a/27610822

related post:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 71#p557271
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 62#p557562

thanks.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

was it just AVX or was there other instruction sets that were giving trouble? Is there any documentation on how to make a libpack? if some script is used could be made public? I looked at https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-LibPack but there's just binaries in the release page and no indication on what one should do if interested in helping make the libpack. This most likely can't be done right away but it would be nice if we could script the full process of making a libpack from scratch so that it might be done with CI and collaboratively.
ebrahim raeyat wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:54 pm I don't know if it is related to this topic, but can this function add to windows version?
I understand that what you want is that the installer includes pyside2uic? I don't understand what we are supposed to get from the stackoverflow link
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:47 pm was it just AVX
Yes. I documented everything here: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Compile_on_Windows

Building a LibPack is more than what I documented there. For example one needs VTK, Qt, PCL, the MKL libs... I don't know this yet.
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

ebrahim raeyat wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:54 pm
I understand that what you want is that the installer includes pyside2uic? I don't understand what we are supposed to get from the stackoverflow link
Yes, exactly. From Stackoverflow link, I mean if it is possible to define this function to be usable with PySide2. If it is possible to add pyside2uic, then it is not need to stackoverflow code. Thanks
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

ebrahim raeyat wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:04 am If it is possible to add pyside2uic, then it is not need to stackoverflow code. Thanks
I understand you request and thought about it. I fear that when we start to add Python packages to our LibPack, we run into manpwoer issues. Moreover we would then provide a feature only available for LibPack builds, not also for Conda. Since special packages are there for special needs, i think the best is that users install these packages on their own. Installing a package is not too difficult for someone who knows Python. We can setup a Wiki page to describe how the installation is done.

So for 0.20, no additionally packages will be part of the LibPack.