DynamicData now supports editing tooltips

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
TheMarkster
Veteran

DynamicData now supports editing tooltips

Post by TheMarkster »

As of version 2.42 DynamicData now supports editing tooltips of dynamic properties.

Now we can edit property names, group names, and tooltip values.

###############################

As of version 2.41 DynamicData can rename dynamic properties. This function is only available via the workbench menu, not from the toolbar.

Note: FreeCAD does not support (at this time anyway) the renaming of properties. So, the way this is done is a new property of the same type is created with the new name. Then the tooltip, group name, value, and expression engine links are transferred to the new property, and finally the old property is removed. There is great potential for things to go wrong in this process, but seems to work fairly well in my admittedly rudimentary testing. Undo can be used to undo the operation if things don't go right.

The dd naming convention is not enforced. You can choose any name you want to use, but a warning is given if the convention isn't followed because some functions of the workbench will not work properly, such as property copying, if the convention isn't followed.

As of version 2.39 DynamicData can now rename groups. This only works where all the properties in the group are dynamic properties, but the object need not be a DynamicData object.

The new feature is only in the menu, not the toolbar, so you have to go the workbench to use it. It's called Move to new group. It is designed to move properties from one group to another. Upon running the command you are asked which group the properties should be moved from, one option being <All groups>. This is only to select the groups from which the properties to be moved should be picked. Select the properties in the dialog, then click OK. You will then be prompted for target group into which the properties will be moved, one option being to create a new group and put them in it. If you move all the properties from a group into a new group you have effectively renamed the group.

The new property picker dialog is also now used with the remove property command, making it a bit more user-friendly.
Snip macro screenshot-2ecabe.png
Snip macro screenshot-2ecabe.png (11.38 KiB) Viewed 1274 times
Last edited by TheMarkster on Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bambuko
Veteran

Re: DynamicData now supports renaming groups

Post by bambuko »

TheMarkster wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:24 am ... version 2.39 DynamicData ...
just out of curiosity - is there a way to check which version I currently have?
(I have updated regardless :) )
Thank you!
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: DynamicData now supports renaming groups

Post by TheMarkster »

bambuko wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:21 am
TheMarkster wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:24 am ... version 2.39 DynamicData ...
just out of curiosity - is there a way to check which version I currently have?
(I have updated regardless :) )
Thank you!
I forgot to update the version information in the class file. I'll push a new update to 2.40 so it shows the version correctly in new objects in the DynamicData property.

Edit: Done. I also added version information to the settings page when it is opened from the DynamicData menu.
jruiz

Re: DynamicData now supports editing tooltips

Post by jruiz »

TheMarkster wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:24 am As of version 2.42 DynamicData now supports editing tooltips of dynamic properties.

Now we can edit property names, group names, and tooltip values.

###############################
Excellent!

IMHO, the use of Dynamic Data "should be a must" for any FreeCAD project.

Great job!
I have uploaded some FreeCAD video tutorials to
my channel at Odysee. If you don't have an account at LBRY, follow this invitation .
Most of the videos can be watched at my channel of youtube
edwilliams16
Veteran

Post by edwilliams16 »

TheMarkster wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:24 am As of version 2.42 DynamicData now supports editing tooltips of dynamic properties.
Given the capability you have built in to the ParametricCurve_FP Macro, it seems it might be possible to build a configuration Save/Restore feature into your Dynamic Data Workbench.
This would provide a nice alternative to using Spreadsheet Configurations (which I have yet to try out...) to keep a number of variations of a model - particularly where it requires some tweaking to get a parameter set one desires.
I envisage a drop-down menu of parameter sets to which one can add/remove/edit etc. similar to that in the Parametric Curve Macro.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Interesting idea.