Tracker migration

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Tracker migration programmed this monday

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:01 am This is mostly to protect the developers from being occupied with bugs turning out being help requests. There are more forum members who can sort this out so that the developers can just sit there doing nothing, looking out of the window, and wait until finally one of the real bug reports / feature requests pops in.
Another problem with migration is that I think now not much people can process the tickets.
I don't how GH handles rights on issues. For myself, right now I don't have anymore rights so can't help sorting tickets.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

chrisb wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:01 am This is mostly to protect the developers from being occupied with bugs turning out being help requests. There are more forum members who can sort this out so that the developers can just sit there doing nothing, looking out of the window, and wait until finally one of the real bug reports / feature requests pops in.
The side effect is that this also discourages some real bug reports, if the process to report is a PITA some people will not bother, creating new accounts on sites you don't use much is one of those annoying barriers that turn many people off.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:11 pm The side effect is that this also discourages some real bug reports, if the process to report is a PITA some people will not bother, creating new accounts on sites you don't use much is one of those annoying barriers that turn many people off.
I used to think this way, until i became a bug triager, I think it's ok to add a 'hurdle', which is what you're saying is happening when we make users take that extra step. I think especially as FC grows, we'll hear about the bug one way or another. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. But experientially, I've found the extra step to be more sustainable on volunteers who triage and like chrisb explained, better for the core-devs.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

the link used in the big yellow banner in the issue tracker is incorrect currently it's https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/Issues which leads to 404 it should be https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues with a lowercase i
I don't know if this link has been used somewhere else, please check.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:06 pm the link used in the big yellow banner in the issue tracker is incorrect
Thanks for the catch - fixed now.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

openBrain wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:56 am Another problem with migration is that I think now not much people can process the tickets.
This can be addressed - it's possible to give someone access to a "Triage" role on a repo, which allows various actions on created issues. And of course there are more fine-grained controls should we need them. Right now we are all learning how to best use GitHub Issues on a big project. I've personally only used it on my own small work, and submitting bugs to other projects, this is the largest project that I've had to deal with the actual maintenance on. So please keep the suggestions coming, we can keep tweaking the system until it works the way we want it to.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Agree to turn the forum post optional instead of required.. But indeed maybe let's wait a week or two to see how things settle down?

Also yes, we definitely need to allow more people to triage. We have a "reviewers" github group already, that was created to allow people to make reviews (apparently later on it was no more necessary). Maybe we can reuse that group for triage?
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

yorik wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:20 am We have a "reviewers" github group already, that was created to allow people to make reviews (apparently later on it was no more necessary).
Actually being in "reviewers" isn't needed to do a review, but it allows a member to be requested for a review ;)
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

The "Reviewers" group has no additional permissions, it's as @openBrain says, just to allow them to be requested as reviewers. On Mantis we had additional categories of participants: basically, people who could be assigned tickets, and people who could triage tickets. GitHub has built-in permission sets for the "Triage" group, should we choose to create one. It's also easy on GitHub for people to request to be added to a group, so we could easily provide a link here (or in a pinned topic someplace), or just send direct invites to people who seem to be helping us triage bugs already anyway. That group gets the following permissions:
  • Issue and Pull Request
    • Assign or remove a user
    • Remove an assigned user
    • Remove a label
    • Add or remove a label
  • Issue
    • Close an issue
    • Reopen a closed issue
    • Mark an issue as a duplicate
  • Pull Request
    • Close a pull request
    • Reopen a closed pull request
    • Request a pull request review
  • Repository
    • Set milestones
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If the forum is shown in FreeCAD style, there is a link with an icon leading to the bugtracker. It should be changed to point to the new tracker.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.