The FreeCAD Project Association

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: The FreeCAD Project Association

Post by adrianinsaval »

You do raise good points sliptonic, here some of my thoughts.
sliptonic wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:13 pm To this day, I don't fully understand much of what he did. If he disappears, I'll have a lot of trouble maintaining this part of Path.
the same could be said about werner with regards to other vast parts of the code. Or about you and path, or at some point ickby and PD, in fact PD stalled for quite some time after he left. Or abdullah and sketcher, that also stalled for quite some time when he was not available. Or more recently with techdraw and wandererfan. We already depend on individuals for large parts of the code, while this is a relevant point, I don't think it's a showstopper, realthunder has demonstrated his commitment to FreeCAD more than enough IMO. (just to clarify, I'm not saying this is reason for blind merge)
Everyone acknowledges his skill. Some of us just wish his process was more collaborative.
I understand, but isn't exactly this why we should think about having him work more closely on master like others? How can he collaborate if he's excluded to his branch and all his changes take ages to get in or be reviewed? (not talking TN but the smaller things) Others have been given merge access and their technical skill is trusted despite not being perfect (being human and all that ;) ), can we not give some trust to RT too? Not blind trust, just some trust, he has bugfix PR that stalled for over a year. Having said that, I do understand that some work is going on to improve this, I've seen uwe asking realthunder to make more PRs for the smaller stuff now that there are more reviewers and he has said he would, plus the discussions in other PRs and the progress in the spreadsheet stuff.
They want the feature they think the algorithm will provide.
*The feature the algorithm provides
It has been thoroughly tested in his branch (I know this is not proof it's ready for master) a lot of people know what it provides, it's not just a false hope.
I understand frustration. What grinds my gears is the lack of respect - the naive assumption that because things aren't going the way you want, that it must be somebody being evil, obstinate, stupid, or corrupt. If you really appreciate the job the developers are doing, maybe give them the benefit of the doubt.
Agreed and I do not believe any ill intention is behind the delays, and I have stated so. And I did not intend to disrespect in any of my posts, in fact I've been trying to get others to be more respectful to the devs. I hope this part was not directed at me.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

wsteffe wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:40 pm
kwoledge of the system is not enough to make a good lead and even then wmayer most likely has deeper better understanding than realthunder. You're also ignoring the part were that person has to be willing to take such a leading role, if this is not the case it's pointless to try and get him into that role.
sliptonic wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:58 pm Great programmers don't make great technical leads. Great collaborators do.
perfect point
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

Hi sliptonic I may agree with most you said in your last two posts. And I may also understand the frustration of having to choose between the integration into path of many lines of codes that you did not fully understand and rejecting a merge that, potentially, could bring big improvements.
I think anyway that you have taken a good decision by integrating the code and I am convinced that you do not regret about it.

You are still a little bit upset because there are part of this code that you still non fully understand and you are warried about possible problems in case RT will not be available in the future. But the same kind of problems (even bigger I think) will have to be addressed by the next developer taking your place when you will have to quit (soon or late that moment will come).

So in general, I do not think it is a wise decision to refuse a code, which provides a better user experience, just because you may not understand immediately how it works in all its parts. Your understanding will probably improve with time with usage and evetually, sometime, through the inspection of it with a debugger. The latter is just the last resourse in case the developer who made it is no more available for a clarification.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

wsteffe wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:23 pm So in general, I do not think it is a wise decision to refuse a code, which provides a better user experience, just because you may not understand immediately how it works in all its parts.
This is how users are protected from security breach, backdoors, ... :?
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:10 pm most likely has deeper better understanding than realthunder
May be. I do not know them very well. But for sure RT is more propositive and has has demonstrated the capabity to define and follow a succesfull development path which has brought strong improvements in the user experience.
adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:10 pm You're also ignoring the part were that person has to be willing to take such a leading role, if this is not the case it's pointless to try and get him into that role.
Yes you are right on this point. But I said that it is just a dream and that, more realistically I ....
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

openBrain wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:27 pm This is how users are protected from security breach, backdoors, ..
Following this logic you should'nt use any external library. Do you have checked every line of the OCC library to be sure that it doesn't inlude a backdoor ? Or it is just because RT code comes from China and you are obsessed of a backdoor like US government with Huaway smartphones ?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

That's totally out of place, were any of us comes from is irrelevant here, and I think realthunder is from singapore anyways (not sure). We might not inspect every line of OCC code before using the library but I expect the maintainers of OCC do check the code submitted to them before merging. It is not a valid comparison at all.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

May I trademark "openBrain's point" which is reached in a discussion when one makes allusion to anything coming from China as being of poor quality, reliability or suspect/dubious ?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I know it's important to have these discussions and spin-off discussions...but I'm already sapped (energy-wise) by this thread and may need to take a self-help break.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:07 pm That's totally out of place, were any of us comes from is irrelevant here

Hi adrianinsaval, I think you completely misunderstood my post. I never thought that our countries matter in any way.
I was just joking a little bit after having seen the openbrain post about the need to protect users from backdoors coming from a merge.
And because we were speaking of merging TN PR I joked a little bit with reference to the well known US ban of android for huawei.
openBrain wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:09 pm one makes allusion to anything coming from China as being of poor quality, reliability or suspect/dubious
If the you are speaking about me, you are completely off the track (as usual). I never thought or alluded that RT contribute may be of poor quality.
On the contrary I think that RT has made an excellent work and this should be evident to all who are reading my posts (apart you of course).