Addon Manager Redesign 2021

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Addon Manager Redesign 2021

Post by adrianinsaval »

I concentrate on Linux because this has only changed on Linux :roll: there was change in macOS too if I'm not mistaken, in order to follow Apple's standard for these files, and on windows they are placed under %APPDATA%/FreeCAD in order to follow window's standard (although IMO this isn't fully respected either since some stuff is probably supposed to go to appdata/local/FreeCAD). You are right that FreeCAD is multiplatform and as such it adapts to the OS using Qt's functions to find these folders.

Don't like it? Use the option to use deprecated paths or set the XDG env variables you want to have your data wherever you want. You know the best thing about this being standard? You can use those env variables for a lot of other apps.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:14 pm there was change in macOS too if I'm not mistaken, in order to follow Apple's standard for these files
Indeed, they are now in ~/Library/Application Support/FreeCAD/Mod instead of ~/Library/Preferences/FreeCAD.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Honestly if you don't like the fredesktop stuff, I have linked my .FreeCAD to .local/share/FreeCAD and the problem is solved, works just like 0.19, never had to look at it again.

Regarding the addon manager, yes, using another file (with more "fields" than the .gitmodules file) seems interesting, but: 1) it's harder to maintain, the .gitmodules is automaticly handled by git, 2) is it not possible to add fields manually to the .gitmdules? Maybe they are not overwritten... In any case it's possible to add a branch info: https://www.git-scm.com/docs/gitmodules and 3) then we might also want to allow not only the developer to specify a branch, but the user to "pin" a specific branch too (like in zolko's case)

Maybe what could be interesting:

- the .gitmodules can optionally feature a default branch for a given addon
- the addonmanager scans for available branches and gives users a drop-down menu of available branches (with the default one recommended)
- the addon manager remembers the installed branch
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Sorry I had not followed this thread, just in a discussion with an user it comes to my attention that there is no longer 'Configure' in the dialog box.

Any idea there is still a way to do 'configure' similar to earlier design? To add a repository which is not yet included in the list.

Thanks for any idea :)

[ EDIT - Just google search to find this thread, and just realise this is in the Announcement sub-forum, any better place to discuss its develpement other than here? Thanks. ]
Screenshot from 2022-07-11 00-25-08.png
Screenshot from 2022-07-11 00-25-08.png (117.85 KiB) Viewed 2040 times
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

yorik wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:31 am Regarding the addon manager, yes, using another file (with more "fields" than the .gitmodules file) seems interesting, but: 1) it's harder to maintain, the .gitmodules is automaticly handled by git,
But we don't actually use that functionality, except to allow GitHub to provide links for us -- which it does incorrectly, since technically a git submodule is locked to a particular revision. So we are only kind of using .gitmodules, and we use it wrong :D .
- the .gitmodules can optionally feature a default branch for a given addon
This is already done -- we assume "master" if nothing is provided, but the developer can give us whatever branch they want to.
- the addonmanager scans for available branches and gives users a drop-down menu of available branches (with the default one recommended)
This already exists, if you enable the advanced options and have GitPython and git installed -- but doesn't allow any flexibility to the developer to provide a specific list of branches they want to display, it just shows all of them, and has no way of knowing if one or more of them are incompatible with the current version of FreeCAD.
- the addon manager remembers the installed branch
It does this.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

paullee wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:34 pm Sorry I had not followed this thread, just in a discussion with an user it comes to my attention that there is no longer 'Configure' in the dialog box.
Those preferences were moved to the main FreeCAD preferences dialog.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Thanks @chennes :D
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

okay mytarguments have basically all melted :D i'm convinced!
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Sorry if the answer is above.

If [Status=Installed] and [Show=Workbenches], I don't see the workbenches shown with [Show=All].
Is it normal ?

(btw, this Addon Manager redesigned is fantastic)

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.29485 (Git)  -- 2022/07/10
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a236ca843fdd6674afb6d7ed1454fbd3b547f5ea
Python 3.8.13, Qt 5.12.9, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.5.3
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)
Installed mods: 
  * fasteners 0.3.50
  * fcgear 1.0.0
  * Manipulator 1.4.9
  * sheetmetal 0.2.52
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2022-07-26 130941.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-07-26 130941.jpg (51.51 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
Capture d’écran 2022-07-26 130953.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-07-26 130953.jpg (23.84 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Shalmeneser wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:14 am Is it normal ?
No, it's not: actually, the display you are seeing there doesn't have the correct icons or other metadata for those workbenches either. I can't reproduce here. If you switch to expanded view does it show anything different?
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System