hfcNASTRAN95 - Pre/Post processing for NASTRAN95

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
johnwang
Veteran

Re: hfcNASTRAN95 - Pre/Post processing for NASTRAN95

Post by johnwang »

bernd wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:03 am very value information :D
Have you tried nastran 95?
Was told you could install it under Ubuntu with:

sudo apt-get install nastran
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
peterh4000

Post by peterh4000 »

Hi John,
I'm just now discovering your hfcNASTRAN95 and I'm excited to get it working in Linux.

I'm running FreeCAD version 0.19 in Linux Mint and NASTRAN95 (installed as you say with apt-get)
I've placed your hfcNastran95 folder from github in my FreeCAD mod folder which is in my home folder [~/.FreeCAD/Mod/hfcNastran95]

It shows up as a workbench (without the icon's SVGs..."Cannot find icon: /home/peter/.FreeCAD/Mod/hfcNastran95./resources/folderIcon.svg" which I believe is due to the "." after hfcNastran95.

When the open .f06 button is pressed I do get the "Read a Nastran's F06 file dialog" but selecting the .f06 file results in the following error.

16:20:08 Running the Python command 'hfcNastran95OpenF06' failed:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/peter/.FreeCAD/Mod/hfcNastran95/hfcNastran95OpenF06.py", line 67, in Activated
iniFout = open(inifileOut,"w")

[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/app/freecad/Mod/hfcNastran95/hfcNastran95.ini'

Before I go poking around in hfcNastran95OpenF06.py file I thought I'd check in with you on it, and also whether you think once the filenames issues are sorted out that the rest of the file importing will work OK in Linux.

Thanks in advance and I'm hopeful since I like working with FreeCAD and NASTRAN both and this tool will really help.
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

peterh4000 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:29 pm I've placed your hfcNastran95 folder from github in my FreeCAD mod folder which is in my home folder [~/.FreeCAD/Mod/hfcNastran95]

It shows up as a workbench (without the icon's SVGs..."Cannot find icon: /home/peter/.FreeCAD/Mod/hfcNastran95./resources/folderIcon.svg" which I believe is due to the "." after hfcNastran95.
Remove the "." in name may work.
peterh4000 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:29 pm When the open .f06 button is pressed I do get the "Read a Nastran's F06 file dialog" but selecting the .f06 file results in the following error.

16:20:08 Running the Python command 'hfcNastran95OpenF06' failed:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/peter/.FreeCAD/Mod/hfcNastran95/hfcNastran95OpenF06.py", line 67, in Activated
iniFout = open(inifileOut,"w")

[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/app/freecad/Mod/hfcNastran95/hfcNastran95.ini'
I only tested under Windows.
the OpenF06 function only use Notepad.exe program of Windows to open the F06 file. Under Linux, you need to change to another text editor.
You could create a hfcNastran95.ini file, contain one line like '/app/freecad' and put it under '/app/freecad/Mod/hfcNastran95'

You could talk about N95 at https://discord.gg/h9zDcHH
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
peterh4000

Post by peterh4000 »

Thanks for the quick reply!

When opening the .F06 file with notepad, does your code then create the mesh and results objects that FreeCAD displays?
I guess I don't see where you go from looking at the text output file in notepad, to displaying results in FreeCAD.

Or does opening the .F06 add results to already created mesh objects established from opening an input file and using hfcNastran95InpInFem.py?

I'm pretty sure I can sort out the filename issues, I'm trying to read through your code and see what it does with the files once opened. Is there a FreeCAD standard object for the finite element meshes and results that you get out of the files?

Thanks for any help.
-Peter-
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

peterh4000 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:39 pm When opening the .F06 file with notepad, does your code
Answered here:
https://forum.freecad.org/viewtopic.php ... 16#p584531