New Raytracing Workbench: POV-Ray-Rendering

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
The_Raytracers

Re: New Raytracing Workbench for POV-Ray

Post by The_Raytracers »

The workbench has now its own Wiki Page: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/POV-Ray-Rendering_Workbench
I also added it to the External-Workbenches Page. There was no category that really fits, so I created the new on "Raytracing and Rendering", if this is not allowed, please tell me and I will undo this change.

To add it to the Addon-Manager, we have to add the logo, but I don't understand, where exactly.
5a. logo which needs to be added to FreeCAD/src/Mod/AddonManger/Resources/icons in the following format: <WorkbenchName>_workbench_icon.svg.

5b. path to said above icon needs to be added to FreeCAD/src/Mod/AddonManger/Resources/AddonManager.qrc
So I have to do two PRs; one to FreeCAD-master and one to FreeCAD-Addons?
Kunda1 wrote: ???
Greetings
The_Raytracers
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

The_Raytracers wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:28 pm So I have to do two PRs; one to FreeCAD-master and one to FreeCAD-Addons?
That is correct. Reference both of them to each other so we can conveniently review both PRs. Thanks!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
The_Raytracers

Post by The_Raytracers »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:23 pm
The_Raytracers wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:28 pm So I have to do two PRs; one to FreeCAD-master and one to FreeCAD-Addons?
That is correct. Reference both of them to each other so we can conveniently review both PRs. Thanks!
Ok, thank you very much!
I will do the PRs tomorrow hopefully.

Greetings
The_Raytracers
The_Raytracers

Re: New Raytracing Workbench: POV-Ray-Rendering

Post by The_Raytracers »

Good new: The workbench is now available via the Addon Manager, so it is not longer necessary to install it manually.
Thanks to Kunda1 again!

Greetings
The_Raytracers
The_Raytracers

Post by The_Raytracers »

The_Raytracers wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:18 pm Workbench for Exporting & Rendering a FreeCAD Model with POV-Ray

After one year of developing, we're happy to publish a new workbench for creating photorealistic images with POV-Ray. The workbench is aimed at both beginners and advanced users in raytracing. With this workbench you will be able to create easily photorealistic pictures of your model, even if you are not familiar with rendering. If you're an advanced user with more knowledge, you can get the full control about all detailed settings by combining the FreeCAD model with POV-Rays scriptig language.

In contrast to the other rendering solutions of FreeCAD we are focused on using POV-Ray as the only renderer and tryed to support as many POV-Ray features as possible. The workbench uses solid primitives and other mathematic describable objects as long as they are implemented in POV-Ray and translation is not too elaborate in programming. But meshes are also supported so you will always get a result even for not supported objects. (Take a look at Supported.md to see a list of the supported features.)

Features
  • easy applying of textures including a preview
  • easy inserting and configuration of different types of lights
  • easy use of indirect lightning to create realistic images
  • easy inserting of HDRI Environments (is in progress, see post below)
    ⇨ simple handling and operation
  • power users can get the full control about the whole configuration with the user inc file (see Power User Section)
    ⇨ offering all settings for advanced users
  • the model is not converted into meshes, the model will be converted into a mathematical way of describing the object shape, so you will get a better object and a better picture
  • very good readability of the created files → easy editing of these files
  • WYSIWYG - You can pan your model and render and you will get this point of view from FreeCAD
Installation

You can install the workbench via the Addon-Manager easily.
In addition, you will need a POV-Ray installation to run the workbench. How to install POV-Ray is explained here: POV-Ray Wiki.

After adding the POV-Ray Executable Path to workbench setting you can start your first rendering.

Have fun! We are looking forward to your feedback.
Petert

Post by Petert »

The_Raytracers wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:35 pm The workbench is now available via the Addon Manager, so it is not longer necessary to install it manually.
Nice!
I am a refugee from Fusion 360. Switched over to FreeCAD and am spreading the word. After years of very little progress I switched again to another solution. I wish you all the best!
The_Raytracers

Post by The_Raytracers »

I qouted the first post, instead of editing it (installation instruction), maybe a moderator can delete the post (and this one). Petert was too fast in replying and therefore I couldn't delete it myself ;)
doubters

Post by doubters »

In Python 3.9, some changes made (it seems to have removed the function "getchildren"), in connection with which POV-Ray gives an error:

Code: Select all

Running the Python command 'Export' failed:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/doubters/.FreeCAD/Mod/POV-Ray-Rendering/ExportCommand.py", line 41, in Activated
    dialog = Dialog()
  File "/home/doubters/.FreeCAD/Mod/POV-Ray-Rendering/Dialog.py", line 48, in __init__
    self.initUI()
  File "/home/doubters/.FreeCAD/Mod/POV-Ray-Rendering/Dialog.py", line 58, in initUI
    self.textureTab = TextureTab()
  File "/home/doubters/.FreeCAD/Mod/POV-Ray-Rendering/Dialog.py", line 582, in __init__
    self.initUIElements()
  File "/home/doubters/.FreeCAD/Mod/POV-Ray-Rendering/Dialog.py", line 593, in initUIElements
    self.addObjectsTexturesLists()  # add the two lists at the top
  File "/home/doubters/.FreeCAD/Mod/POV-Ray-Rendering/Dialog.py", line 618, in addObjectsTexturesLists
    self.addTextureList()
  File "/home/doubters/.FreeCAD/Mod/POV-Ray-Rendering/Dialog.py", line 669, in addTextureList
    categories = predefined.getchildren()

'xml.etree.ElementTree.Element' object has no attribute 'getchildren'
System:

Code: Select all

OS: Ubuntu Impish Indri (development branch) (GNOME/gnome)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 0d9536ed3e8c7f40197b5606e1b7873625e1d6fe
Python version: 3.9.6
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: C/Default (C)
We are waiting for fixes in addon.
Attachments
mov.gif
mov.gif (205.7 KiB) Viewed 6585 times
The_Raytracers

Post by The_Raytracers »

doubters wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:25 am ...
Sorry for my late reply, I thought I would be noticed via email if someone writes anything in this thread. CsatiZoltan had the same issue and reported it on GitHub, fortunately I saw it there :)
It should be fixed now.

But thanks anyway for your bug report!
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

I confirm that the bug has been fixed.