OSE 3D Printer Workbench

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
gbroques

OSE 3D Printer Workbench

Post by gbroques »

Hello everyone!

I'm excited to announce a workbench we've been working on to streamline the design of 3D Printers by Open Source Ecology (OSE) for Distributive Enterprise.

GitHub Repository:
https://github.com/gbroques/ose-3d-printer-workbench

Attached GIF Demo:
The below attached GIF demo show-cases constructing a simplified D3D Pro 3D printer model.

YouTube Demo Videos:
Also, various demo videos were made and published on YouTube. See the following playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... LAzDo3H04c

This is only an initial release, and we plan to expand and improve on it in the future.

We will broadcast announcements in this thread.
Attachments
ose-3d-printer-workbench-demo.gif
ose-3d-printer-workbench-demo.gif (314.35 KiB) Viewed 3262 times
Last edited by gbroques on Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vocx
Veteran

Re: OSE 3D Printer Workbench

Post by vocx »

gbroques wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:06 pm FreeCAD Addons Repo:
Also, I was looking to add this to the FreeCAD Addons repo, and was unsure which section to add it under External Workbenches - Current Extensions (e.g. General, Architecture and construction, Assembly and animation, etc.). Any suggestions as to which section it fits under?
Maybe Engineering? I tend to think of these workbenches that create things as engineering workbenches. Architecture is for buildings; this is not a building. Assembly is for assembly workbenches, that is, to assembly objects in an arbitrary fashion, not for assembly of particular products.

As for the workbench, I suggest opening also a thread in the Open Discussion subforum where you will provide support for it. That is, this thread should probably be moved to Announcements, and you will only use it to announce new features or things. It won't be really used for discussions. A new thread in Open Discussions then can be used to discuss everything about development, or improvements to the workbench.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
gbroques

Post by gbroques »

vocx wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:04 am Maybe Engineering? I tend to think of these workbenches that create things as engineering workbenches. Architecture is for buildings; this is not a building. Assembly is for assembly workbenches, that is, to assembly objects in an arbitrary fashion, not for assembly of particular products.
Thanks vocx :). I'll look into acquiring a FreeCAD Wiki account to add the workbench under Engineering.
vocx wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:04 am As for the workbench, I suggest opening also a thread in the Open Discussion subforum where you will provide support for it. That is, this thread should probably be moved to Announcements, and you will only use it to announce new features or things. It won't be really used for discussions. A new thread in Open Discussions then can be used to discuss everything about development, or improvements to the workbench.
Is there an easy way to move this post to Announcements, or should I basically copy-paste this, make a new post in Announcements, and ignore this post from now on?

I'll also look into opening a new thread in the Open Discussion subforum for providing support, discussing everything about development, and / or improvements to the workbench.

I guess the purpose of Users Showcase is more for show-casing FreeCAD models, rather than FreeCAD workbenches?

I appreciate all the pointers.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

gbroques wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:30 am Is there an easy way to move this post to Announcements, or should I basically copy-paste this, make a new post in Announcements, and ignore this post from now on?
Or we can do the civilized thing which is ask a moderator to move the thread.
I guess the purpose of Users Showcase is more for show-casing FreeCAD models...
Yes, users showcase is a "here, I built a nice little donut with FreeCAD, give me upvotes". It's not meant to introduce new developments in code (workbenches).
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

yorik wrote::bell:
Do you mind calling the shot on this? Also do you mind merging the PR if you decide to? Currently have an issue with the SlopedPlanes workbench breaking my local FreeCAD-addons clone.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Varnu01

Post by Varnu01 »

Invite to FreeCAD (and Free CAE) Users Conference 2023

Good Day @gbroques

My name is Varnu Govender, I am the assistant to Dr du Plessis at the University of Pretoria, South Africa.

We are organizing the 1st Annual FreeCAD (and Free CAE) Users Conference, which is set to take place in Early 2023.

I have taken interest in your Workbench, and I would love if you could present your work at the conference.

You are welcome to present your workbench in the following manner:
  • Introduction/Overview of your Workbench
  • Run-down on how the workbench operates through the user interface and backend.
  • A tutorial demonstrating the full functionality of the workbench.
  • A showcase of something that has been created/modelled in the workbench.
In addition to this, if you know somebody that might be interested in presenting their work during the conference, please could you refer them to me (@Varnu01.)

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards
Varnu Govender
FreeCAD (and Free CAE) Users Conference 2023. Register Here

Nikra-DAP FreeCAD Workbench