Guitar Design Workbench

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mnesarco

Guitar Design Workbench

Post by mnesarco »

HI Friends,

I have created this Guitar designer Workbench. It is in alpha status, but very usable.

100% Parametric and Free.

All information here: https://github.com/mnesarco/MarzWorkbench
anim.gif
anim.gif (495.02 KiB) Viewed 8594 times
Cheers!
Zolko
Veteran

Re: Guitar Design Workbench

Post by Zolko »

mnesarco wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:29 am I have created this Guitar designer Workbench. It is in alpha status, but very usable.
Cool, I was about to need this. Let's see if I manage to understand
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

mnesarco wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:29 am All information here: https://github.com/mnesarco/MarzWorkbench
Installation:
  • for Windows: C:\Users\******\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod
  • for MacOS it's the same as Linux ($HOME/.FreeCAD/Mod)
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

Zolko wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:31 am
mnesarco wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:29 am All information here: https://github.com/mnesarco/MarzWorkbench
Installation:
  • for Windows: C:\Users\******\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod
  • for MacOS it's the same as Linux ($HOME/.FreeCAD/Mod)
Thank you @Zolko. I have updated the README.
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

mnesarco wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:29 am HI Friends,

I have created this Guitar designer Workbench. It is in alpha status, but very usable.

Cheers!
Great. Can I use it for Ukulele design too?
… for a happy FreeCAD-World … JM2C …
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

bavariaSHAPE wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:46 pm
mnesarco wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:29 am HI Friends,

Cheers!
Great. Can I use it for Ukulele design too?
Hi bavariaSHAPE, it is designed for Electric Guitars/Basses (Solid/Semi-Hollow Bodies), but actually you can design any Fretboad with it. Just set the appropriate parameters like nut and bridge string distances, bass and treble scales and number of frets. The Neck supports only Set-In, Blot-On and Thru joints, definitely not designed for traditional hollow instruments but you can experiment and share your experience, Maybe I can add some features but acoustic instruments are out of my level right now.
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

mnesarco wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:50 pm (…)
bavariaSHAPE wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:46 pm Great. Can I use it for Ukulele design too?
Hi bavariaSHAPE, it is designed for Electric Guitars/Basses (Solid/Semi-Hollow Bodies), but actually you can design any Fretboad with it. Just set the appropriate parameters like nut and bridge string distances, bass and treble scales and number of frets. The Neck supports only Set-In, Blot-On and Thru joints, definitely not designed for traditional hollow instruments but you can experiment and share your experience, Maybe I can add some features but acoustic instruments are out of my level right now.
My goal is to build E-Ukulele. I have installed your Workbench and will see what is possible for me.
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

Good heavens! This will be a big challenge to find the parameters and their combinations. The first impression was really overwhelming. But it'll be fun to work through. It looks like you thought of everything. Do you build guitars professionally or privately?

Really excellent work. I am happy and hope to build my E-Ukulele with it. It will be a combination of wood and 3D printing. I run the Marz Guitar Design Workbench on Win 7 – no Linux on board (see below).

I will certainly ask for one or the other. Is there a First Steps guide. Only for the first personal success. :lol:

Combo View Forum.jpg
Combo View Forum.jpg (182.59 KiB) Viewed 8036 times

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20477 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 7d8ab175a68e476427e6e337fe3099b52da49dc8
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

bavariaSHAPE wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:39 am Good heavens! This will be a big challenge to find the parameters and their combinations. The first impression was really overwhelming. But it'll be fun to work through. It looks like you thought of everything. Do you build guitars professionally or privately?
Hi bavariaSHAPE, Good to know it can be useful to your project. I build guitars just as a hobby.

bavariaSHAPE wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:39 am Really excellent work. I am happy and hope to build my E-Ukulele with it. It will be a combination of wood and 3D printing. I run the Marz Guitar Design Workbench on Win 7 – no Linux on board (see below).
It is really nice to know it works on Win7, i have never tested that environment. The bad thing is that it is an unsupported platform, so you are on your own risk here, platform specific bugs will be not fixed for win7.

bavariaSHAPE wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:39 am I will certainly ask for one or the other. Is there a First Steps guide. Only for the first personal success. :lol:
I am not the best one writing user documentation. You can read the wiki, it contains explanations (minimal) of each parameter, information and examples about custom shapes and profiles... it will be improved over the time. What I suggest is to experiment a little, you will get the idea very quickly.

https://github.com/mnesarco/MarzWorkbench/wiki

For an electric Ukulele, I suggest a Neck-Thru design. Currently, if you select Neck-Thru parameter, you can design the Neck and the Fretboard using the Marz Tools, but the body should be designed using standard FreeCAD tools. I will include Body Wings at some point in future but not soon.

Again, Thanks for sharing your experiences. and good luck with your project.

Frank.
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

mnesarco wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:33 pm (…)
It is really nice to know it works on Win7, i have never tested that environment. The bad thing is that it is an unsupported platform, so you are on your own risk here, platform specific bugs will be not fixed for win7.
Yes, your are right. The next Laptop is on the road.

mnesarco wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:33 pm I am not the best one writing user documentation. You can read the wiki, it contains explanations (minimal) of each parameter, information and examples about custom shapes and profiles... it will be improved over the time. What I suggest is to experiment a little, you will get the idea very quickly.

https://github.com/mnesarco/MarzWorkbench/wiki
I have read the Wiki. Professionally I work as a Technical Writer and Illustrator. When the Workbench is released, I can help with the Wiki description if you like. I'm just working on Wiki for FCGear.

mnesarco wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:33 pm For an electric Ukulele, I suggest a Neck-Thru design. Currently, if you select Neck-Thru parameter, you can design the Neck and the Fretboard using the Marz Tools, but the body should be designed using standard FreeCAD tools. I will include Body Wings at some point in future but not soon.

Again, Thanks for sharing your experiences. and good luck with your project.

Frank.
Thanks, that's a start. I will test the Curve Workbench for the body. I am excited about the new ideas and their implementation.