New Workbench MeshTools now renamed 3D Printing Tools

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
HarryGeier
Veteran

Re: New Workbench MeshTools

Post by HarryGeier »

Well,

if you think it´s too complicated to go that way, maybe if you can add the object to mesh and a few other mainly STL centric functions into it and then call it something like 3D PrePrint or the like, so there won´t be a naming confusion coming up and later it could be probably even be added into the standard workbenches .

again, just thoughts
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

HarryGeier wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:40 am Cool,

but wouldn´t it be better to integrate it with the existing MESH Workbench , or vice versa ?
Obviously it would be nice to include such tools to the base FreeCAD code, the question is who is going to do it? And who will maintain it? If some developer adds code to the base FreeCAD system, but then disappears, that code may become obsolete and present errors in the future. Such is the state of the Ship, Plot, Robot, etc., workbenches. They were added to the standard FreeCAD code a long time ago, but it seems nobody has touched that code in years. So, in order to add more core functionality, somebody needs to be responsible. For example, FEM, Path, Arch, Part, TechDraw are seemingly monitored constantly by their developers and by various users.

Otherwise it's better to keep such extensions as an external workbench.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

vocx wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:09 pm
Otherwise it's better to keep such extensions as an external workbench.
Well, this approach would make it more clear to new users that anything outside the "core" is beeing 3rd Party and/or special use case workbenches. I agree that the base installation could/should be reviewed against obsolete WB´s and they could then be turned into additional workbenches again.
Maybe something to add to the 0.19 roadmap/wishlist ?

Who maintains MESH Workbench ?

...should become a new discussion ...please admin/mod .. move it....
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

HarryGeier wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:59 am Who maintains MESH Workbench ?
Werner himself maintains and extends it
mark1791

Post by mark1791 »

HarryGeier wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:59 am Well,

if you think it´s too complicated to go that way, maybe if you can add the object to mesh and a few other mainly STL centric functions into it and then call it something like 3D PrePrint or the like, so there won´t be a naming confusion coming up and later it could be probably even be added into the standard workbenches .

again, just thoughts
Well i have decided to rename it as '3D Printing Tools' as to separate from the 'Mesh design' Workbench, as not reflect to much on the Mesh Workbench so if the functionality of Mesh design can be brought to the user more on the visual side/usability of the work bench.

Also tidied it up and removed any testing code, so consider it more to be beta now, basic functionality is there that i feel needs to be there unless there are any ideas for improvements etc., also to improve the help side to show how to use it to users.

Mark
HarryGeier
Veteran

Re: New Workbench MeshTools now renamed 3D Printing Tools

Post by HarryGeier »

That´s fine...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Should we add it to the FreeCAD addons repo ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Yes.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:55 pmYes.
Added to FreeCAD-addons in https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-addo ... 1d80c36d6c
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

mark1791 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:34 am I have created a workbench that helps with the importing of stl files from the net, it brings the functionality hidden away to the user without having to resort to trawling the forums to find that bit of python code to do simple things.
Hi, I'm editing the Release notes 0.19 in the wiki. I'm including your workbench. It would be nice if you could post in this thread a single image that showcases your workbench. It doesn't have to be very complex, but something that attracts potential new users. In the Release notes 0.19 page, go to the "Additional workbenches" section to see the kind of images that are nice. For example, the image used in the "CurvedShapes Workbench" is quite good, as it shows what it is intended for. The image should be big enough, like 600x400 px, although it will be displayed at 400 px width.

The train model that you show here is fine, but given that the entire mesh is blue it is a bit boring and you cannot see details.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.