Draft module updates

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Draft module updates

Post by yorik »

Dimension objects are now exported and imported to/from dxf files. Be aware that exported dimensions will take the default "Standard" dim style in the host application and may therefore look different than in FreeCAD.

Edit - dimensions are now exported to svg files too.
yorik
Founder

Re: Draft module updates

Post by yorik »

All Draft module tools now work in 3D. Beware that the z coordinate is still locked at start (I should change that, shouldn't I), so when you start drawing, first unlock it to free you from the planar dimension and reach the cosmic levels. I assigned a shortcut (L) to lock/unlock the Z coordinate.
Some commands simply behave the same way in 2 or 3 dimensions, like move, others will take into account the angle of view when you start the tool. For example, if you start to draw a rectangle in front view, it'll be drawn vertically (in xz plane), even if you rotate the view during the operation. The same applies to rotations and other tools. So the best way to draw in 3D is, before drawing anything, to switch the view to the plane you want to draw in. Constraining will work fine too, it will simply see if you are closer to axis x, y or z to decide which axis to lock. It might be a bit tricky in axonometric views but it works quite well.

I honestly didn't test much with perspective and strange viewing angles, but I suppose 99% of the time one would draw in top, front or side views...
Ah and there are still some frightening bugs when trying to do rotations or offsets in strange 3D positions...
jriegel
Founder

Re: Draft module updates

Post by jriegel »

Great!

On Linux 2Ddrafting is now part of the Complete (start) workbench. Under Windows I still struggling with SoQt...

After all that 0.9 release and Debian struggle we have to sit down and make our plans for 2D in the future.
I planing to use the solver used in HeeksCAD for a constraint sketcher and later for the assembly module.
I would like to incorporate that with your work so we can make sketches which are partly constraint and
partly generated through python (2Ddrafting).

Another point is discussing about your excellent article about ACAD needs you did, to get the sketcher
usably for ACAD. e.g stories layouts with features working on that....

Jürgen
Stop whining - start coding!