[Feature request] Shortcuts with Shift or Alt + Alpha-numerical key support

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Hologram

[Feature request] Shortcuts with Shift or Alt + Alpha-numerical key support

Post by Hologram »

Hi, I was browsing the forum to find the appropriate location for feature requests and hope this is the right place to post them.

I would like to use keyboard shortcuts that only use the Alt key and an alpha-numerical key. For example, in Blender, the default shortcut to show all/ unhide all objects is Alt + H. However, I am currently unable to replicate this keymap in FreeCAD, because the shortcut input box loses focus when Alt is pressed. I personally don't like using Alt to browse the menus, so it would be nice for people like me to use the key for keyboard shortcuts instead. Similarly, it would be nice if Shift + Letter/ Number combinations were possible too to immediately invoke a command.
Generally, I like to have the largest pool of possible shortcuts available so I can match other software that I use in terms of shortcuts. This helps for muscle memory and eases switching software on the fly.
Last edited by Hologram on Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mario52
Veteran

Re: [Feature request] Shortcuts with Alt + Alpha-numerical key support

Post by mario52 »

Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
Hologram

Re: [Feature request] Shortcuts with Shift or Alt + Alpha-numerical key support

Post by Hologram »

I think the main issue is that, to me, it is not clear when you can and when you can't invoke a command with a single hotkey. For instance, in the sketcher workbench, there are single shortcuts, whereas in the start workbench, I cannot get some of the view items (e.g. Orthographic view) to activate with a single letter or Shift+Letter combination. It is not consistent. So without knowing the syntax (https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=75497), it is hard to modify the keyboard shortcuts in a way that I know it'll work.
mario52
Veteran

Re: [Feature request] Shortcuts with Shift or Alt + Alpha-numerical key support

Post by mario52 »

Hi

ok

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.