I am happy user of Freecad!

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DarkPhoinix

I am happy user of Freecad!

Post by DarkPhoinix »

Thank you all for this beautiful software!
Thank you for the hard work made!
And happy new year all dev and users!
MattTheNoob

Re: I am happy user of Freecad!

Post by MattTheNoob »

+1
New to FreeCad.
Bostomatic 405 in my garage... now on my second controls retrofit running UCCNC.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

+1

Why not make it sticky only to count "happy users" Vs spam posters?

@chrisb what do you think?
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

onekk wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:28 am @chrisb what do you think?
Of course I highly appreciate such positive voices. Yet I'm hesitant to make it sticky, because we have already several sticky topics. And another one would push the new messages even further down.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:44 am ...
Of course I highly appreciate such positive voices. Yet I'm hesitant to make it sticky, because we have already several sticky topics. And another one would push the new messages even further down.
Yes I see your position, but as there are many trolls that say that FC is bad, some appreciations in a visible place is making thing appear less worse.

I know that happy users make "no news" and that an help forum mean that there are things to improve.

:lol:

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Let's make it sticky for two weeks or so.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

In the Polish subforum I started a thread Functions and features of FreeCAD that are not not always available in the commercial software.

So, there are a few of points from that thread:
1. Working in continuous mode in the sketcher, we draw a polyline, selecting mode without interrupting the function, by pressing modifier key. Some commercial programs have this, others (even very expensive ones) do not.
2. Symmetry in sketcher by a point. Some commercial programs are able to do only symmetry through the axis.
3. The variety of shapes in the sketcher: slots, rounded rectangles, etc. In some programs you have to draw them piece by piece.
4. Removing vertical/horizontal constraints (axes) and automatically replacing them with other constraints, allowing you to rotate the shape. I have not seen this in any other software(?)
5. cross-sections for sweeping in Part Design do not have to have the same number of segments, FreeCAD will divide them by itself. In some programs you have to do it manually, i.e. to make a transition from a circle to a rectangle, you have to divide the circle into 4 arcs.
6. Many functions useful for 3D printing like real threads and fit correction.
7. Wizards for gears and sprockets. Often not available in commercial programs without additional (paid) modules and you have to draw the involute yourself, for example.
8. Any low-level object created in the Part, e.g. with logical operations, can be a base feature for high-level objects in the Part Design. And vice versa. Commercial programs often have very limited low-level features and the use of, for example, logical operations is available only in special cases.
9. Feature removal (defeaturing) in an imported model e.g. from STEP.
10. Python can do almost anything....
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

It seems to me making posts like this sticky is a bit overkill.

A place for testimonials may be warranted.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

drmacro wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:29 pm It seems to me making posts like this sticky is a bit overkill.
I agree.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:34 am
drmacro wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:29 pm It seems to me making posts like this sticky is a bit overkill.
I agree.
I made it unsticky again. It didn't really cause the most overwhelming interest.