FreeCAD Contribution Process

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

FreeCAD Contribution Process

Post by wandererfan »

The FreeCAD Contribution Process is now documented in the FreeCAD master branch as CONTRIBUTING.md. This document follows many forum discussions and is the specific response to issue #7633. The development of the process can be reviewed in pull request issue #7638.

PR7638 had 213 comments submitted, which must be a FreeCAD record for community involvement. Many thanks to @sliptonic for driving this initiative and all the members of the community who helped develop the document.

We should all keep in mind that there is a large step between articulating a desired process and implementing it in practice.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Contribution Process

Post by adrianinsaval »

I take ir from this that we are dropping the "forum first" policy for github issues? the template should be updated
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:33 pm I take ir from this that we are dropping the "forum first" policy for github issues? the template should be updated
If yes, this is a big flaw. There are already too many false positives in there, this will make much more mess in it. Besides that this all is already too much M$/github based, and many people (especially who likes FOSS) do not like a M$ account for report things.

Greetings
user1234
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:33 pm I take ir from this that we are dropping the "forum first" policy for github issues? the template should be updated
issue #7687
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

user1234 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:26 pm Besides that this all is already too much M$/github based, and many people (especially who likes FOSS) do not like a M$ account for report things.
Github is what the project uses. If we used Mantis or Bugzilla it would be based on that. There's no endorsement of Microsoft implied.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

wandererfan wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:51 am There's no endorsement of Microsoft implied.
Microsoft is github.

Greetings
user1234
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

We may take a bit more time for such a serious change. I didn't have the time to go through the process and comment it, and that may be the case for others too. Until now there are mainly developers involved, and as far as only developers are concerned, that's of course ok. But as soon as bugs are reported by regular users, they are involved too. I would also like to see THE core developers Werner and Yorik commenting.
The developers are of course familiar with the github stuff, but others are not. Perhaps is that a reason why there are almost no comments from non developers.

Until now all serious discussions took place here in the forum. It might have been better to do a final discussion here before moving to github.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

chrisb wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:36 am But as soon as bugs are reported by regular users, they are involved too. I would also like to see THE core developers Werner and Yorik commenting.
I also have a gh account and tge usage is as all ms stuff the pure pain. Only to login i need minimum 3 workarounds, for FreeCAD forum 0.

Greetings
user1234
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

user1234 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:26 pm There are already too many false positives in there, this will make much more mess in it.
I highly doubt that the forum first policy had such a big effect on that, people who report stuff for the sake of it are not know for following rules and guidelines. No doubt there will be some increase in worthless issues, but I think the idea is that by having a better and more inviting process we will also get more hands on board to deal with this and compensate, we'll have to see how it goes.

About the MS stuff, I get what you are saying and I did advocate for removing the rule of having a platform account, but we also have to understand that the process has to be practical for devs, you can always sing up on github with a fake email. And I don't understand what you mean with workarounds in order to log in? I never had issues login in on github. And if we ever get tired of MS this process can easily be applied on gitlab or gitea or similar.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

I also don't see the hassle on github login a part for some disconnection between firefox updates, or when I clean cookie cache.

The main hassle what the security improvement with token instead of pasdwords but once created the token is simply a matter of copy and paste.

But as usual it may even depend on browsers and OS used.

For the change in development process, I'm happy with developers decision as who do the hard work, should make the rules.

I know that is resemble comunism but usually rules made by people that don't know what they are ruling lead to worse things.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/