Will FreeCad ever accept crypto (Bitcoin, Monero, etc.) for donations?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kalcifer

Will FreeCad ever accept crypto (Bitcoin, Monero, etc.) for donations?

Post by Kalcifer »

I want to donte, but I really only would feel comfortable doing so via crypto which Freecad doesn't seem to support.
jnxd

Re: Will FreeCad ever accept crypto (Bitcoin, Monero, etc.) for donations?

Post by jnxd »

It does seem to be the FPA's intention: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FPA/issues/11. Not sure if and when it will come to fruition.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

@yorik, @sliptonic.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes definitely... it just didn't seem a very high priority.

One thing to keep in mind though. is that due to the high volatility of cryptocurrencies, once we accept them, it needs a tight and swift handling, otherwise it can loose value quickly. So it's not just a matter of enabling an account, we also need to have people ready to maintain it closely
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

yorik wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:46 am One thing to keep in mind though. is that due to the high volatility of cryptocurrencies, once we accept them, it needs a tight and swift handling, otherwise it can loose value quickly. So it's not just a matter of enabling an account, we also need to have people ready to maintain it closely
Could this cause fiscal issues as well? The bitcoin exchange rate could also rise which is like earning money.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

yes i believe in theory this would count as a comrercial operation and therefore we need the VAT set up. But the crypto world is still nebulous to the fiscal administrations and they can't check what's going on there, so what they would consider is what hits our bank account, and that would all be donation for us and for them, so i suppose it's not a blocker
Lonfor

Post by Lonfor »

chrisb wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:17 am Could this cause fiscal issues as well? The bitcoin exchange rate could also rise which is like earning money.
Fiscal issues will pop up only if the independent money shows in the radar.
As I understand it, Monero is immune to theft by the bureaucracies because is almost impossible to track it. :!:
But I guess that for Freecad as a juridic entity, everything has to be by "their" book.
manos

Post by manos »

Accepting donations in crypto is it fully legal for an association like FPA?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes if you play it right and transparent and not try to escape taxes and all... Basically anything earned by the FPA must be registered and accounted, be it virtual or not. But we're not here to make profits, that's no problem for us, that's how we want to work anyway.

Also, it's hard or impossible for fiscal admin to check each and every coin exchange website out there... So in any case what they will look at is how much hits our accounts. In that regard, for them, money coming from a website like bitcryptoXXX.com is not different from money coming from paypal.com