FreeCAD looks for a new default background color

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Hologram

Re: FreeCAD looks for a new default background color

Post by Hologram »

onekk wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:05 pm Main problem here is that colors have some "meaning" on some WB, so it is not a matter of like or "not like", it is a matter of functionality and signaling things, in the UI.

There are some colors that have some meaning, as green as example for a "full constrained" sketch or orange for a "redudant constraints", and some other that have less importance.
As far as I can tell, these constraint colours can be adjusted in the preferences for the Sketcher workbench (just saw them). So I don't think this affects the stylesheet in any way (please correct me if I am wrong).
I may change these colours, but then I would reference Fusion 360, so I basically grab the meaning of the colours from elsewhere (if I find them hard to look at with my custom UI colours). Haven't tried, so wouldn't know right now.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Hologram wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:13 pm ...
As far as I can tell, these constraint colours can be adjusted in the preferences for the Sketcher workbench (just saw them). So I don't think this affects the stylesheet in any way (please correct me if I am wrong).
Some of them were hardcoded, I don't know if in development version some changes has been done.

I do most of my work "coding my drawings" using scripting, and I use GUI only to check things, and do "minor operations" so I'm not very skilled on this side, I have followed some discusssion about color palettes, and for what it counts, I find quite usable and not eye tiring the actual interface, I have changed minor things, in Python Console, but only to read things better when I don't use a proper external editor. :lol:

Kind Regards.

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

@chrisb is it worth keeping this topic sticky anymore? It's kind of dead and fruitless.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

obelisk79 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:45 am @chrisb is it worth keeping this topic sticky anymore? It's kind of dead and fruitless.
Done! Having missed that it was sticky, I wondered already why it came up again with other sorts of colour questions.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Hologram

Post by Hologram »

One more thing that might be nice is a radial gradient as background, as opposed to the current linear gradient.
Then, you could do things like this (from Blender):
Radial gradient.png
Radial gradient.png (572.48 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

There is an active github issue about this now.
I kinda steering into an image and not a gradient of such. I think images are way more versatile and easier to make by the end user.
If we can have SVG files than we even have the best of both worlds, a light scalable option that is easy to modify.
And yes an image can be exactly the gradient you want it to be. Also anime titties, because I know our user base.
Hologram

Post by Hologram »

SVG files would then also allow for re-useable templates that people can make and share.
MisterMaker wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:02 pm Also anime titties, because I know our user base.
Shhh... that was supposed to be our secret :mrgreen:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

MisterMaker wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:02 pm Also anime titties, because I know our user base.
Do you? Or do you just know yourself :roll: ?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

MisterMaker wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:02 pm I think images are way more versatile and easier to make by the end user. If we can have SVG files than we even have the best of both worlds, a light scalable option that is easy to modify.
Very good idea, yes. It would also allow to make easy and cheap presentations of an object in its environment (by showing the correspondent background).
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

chrisb wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:04 am
Do you? Or do you just know yourself :roll: ?
so are you not a man of culture chrisb? :o It's all jokes and fun, don't take it too seriously