[Poll] Sketcher: Task panel rework.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!

Do you want those changes ?

Yes
97%
No
3%

Total votes: 30
paddle
Veteran

Re: [Poll] Sketcher: Task panel rework.

Post by paddle »

openBrain wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:34 am 'Auto remove redundant' is linked to constraint, so IMO more logical to get it close to 'Auto-constraint'.
+1 For me it makes more sense too. imo @abdullah you're the only one who see the link between this option and the solver. For the average users there is no obvious link, it would even be confusing to be at solver rather than in Constraint widget Settings.

For stop button a pref is possible, but then the question is about the default. Besides I think keeping everything as preference to please everyone, is not a good long term decision. So a poll is imo the best.
Last edited by paddle on Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

openBrain wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:34 am
paddle wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:52 am A - Auto update + auto remove redundant : We add a menu to update button directly. This way they cannot be closer to the solver message, and they are exactly where one would look for them.
'Auto remove redundant' is linked to constraint, so IMO more logical to get it close to 'Auto-constraint'
Agreed, I understand internally is very closely related to the solver status, but for the user it seems more logical to put it with constraints, other than that the proposal seems optimal
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

paddle wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:25 am For stop button a pref is possible, but then the question is about the default. Besides I think keeping everything as preference to please everyone, is not a good long term decision. So a poll is imo the best.
I don't see rationale to purely reject having options to customize interface. Especially when it comes at almost no cost as here.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

So following the grid PR, the rendering order PR : https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/7854
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Now I wonder if we are in the good direction.
For me it's a big loss to not have all those controls directly accessible in one-click. Maybe I'm the only one but I never use the element & constraint lists, but often use controls.
Maybe could be better to just hide 'Edit controls' by default but still offer it for those who need it.
Just wondering. :?
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

openBrain wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:07 pm Now I wonder if we are in the good direction.
Hmm I see. Myself as a user I don't use any of constraint, element & Edit control.
Well I do use Edit control from time to time to show grid but that's very occasional. The only time I used element and constraints is when I've been developping tool setting, to see the geometry end/start points and so on. For me the only important taskbox is Tool settings. Which is missing anyway.

I reworked element and constraint only because their ui was quite bad and I thought it would be quick, though it ended up taking a lot of time.

Now for Edit control, I still think that this is wrong to take so much space for a few settings. My first suggestion was to put a global 'setting' button in the toolbar, but that didn't seemed to gather much support. Then today I had this idea of splitting in the existing 'settings' button which sounds like it make sense because looking in the element widget to change the element rendering order does make sense.

What setting do you think would be annoying to use with this idea? In the discussion it didn't felt like many people would miss rendering order if we get rid of it completely. So it's the 'Auto constraint'?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I think we are heading in the right direction for the default interface but I don't mind if edit controls is still available as an advanced options for those who want it, like the advanced solver options widget.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

openBrain wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:07 pm Maybe I'm the only one but I never use the element & constraint lists, but often use controls.
I seldom use edit controls, but I use constraints and elements constantly. :lol:

As I have said too many times it is a bit foolish to make assumptions about what is important and what is not. Cleanup and fixing obvious problems are fine. Deciding that something should be removed just because "I don't use it" is not OK.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:52 am I seldom use edit controls, but I use constraints and elements constantly. :lol:
Same here; to be more precise: I use the edit controls very seldom.
Deciding that something should be removed just because "I don't use it" is not OK.
Of course, but that's why we are discussing here, which is an advantage over just doing it and leaving us with the finished facts.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

@chrisb @GeneFC You guys who use the Element and Constraint widget, what do you think of the following idea ? Along with the grid PR that would replace the 'Edit control'.
paddle wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:52 am A - Auto update : We add a menu to update button directly.

B - Auto-constraint + auto remove redundant : In the upcoming new constraint widget (it will look like current new Element widget) setting button.

C - Avoid redundant auto-constraint : removed from everywhere. If we want to do that later, we can just add it to constraint widget setting button too for now.

D - Rendering order : In the Element widget setting button as a QActionWidget.

I think this would be the best solution because each option is where it make sense / where one would look for it.