[Poll] Sketcher: Task panel rework.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!

Do you want those changes ?

Yes
97%
No
3%

Total votes: 30
Bance
Veteran

Re: [Poll] Sketcher: Task panel rework.

Post by Bance »

openBrain wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:07 pm
paddle wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:25 am For stop button a pref is possible, but then the question is about the default. Besides I think keeping everything as preference to please everyone, is not a good long term decision. So a poll is imo the best.
I don't see rationale to purely reject having options to customize interface. Especially when it comes at almost no cost as here.
With the preference packs being developed it makes a lot of sense, especially if the beginner packs/wizard that people have been musing for years ever appear.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

Bance wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:54 am With the preference packs being developed it makes a lot of sense, especially if the beginner packs/wizard that people have been musing for years ever appear.
It's a possibility, but I don't see the point of keeping it altogether. It's not as if it brings any advance functionality. It's just a duplicated button. The toolbar has a 'leave sketch' button which is exactly for that.

Imo this 'Close' button has been added for bad reasons in the first place. I opened a topic in UX: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=73716
Last edited by paddle on Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

I'm not so concerned with that per se, more the generality.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

paddle wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:52 am what do you think of the following idea ?
I am OK with:

* Leaving everything as is

* Rearranging to satisfy some mysterious need for change

As long as options do not disappear or get buried deep inside multiple click paths, have fun with your mania. :mrgreen:

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

paddle wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:52 am
paddle wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:52 am A - Auto update : We add a menu to update button directly.

B - Auto-constraint + auto remove redundant : In the upcoming new constraint widget (it will look like current new Element widget) setting button.

C - Avoid redundant auto-constraint : removed from everywhere. If we want to do that later, we can just add it to constraint widget setting button too for now.

D - Rendering order : In the Element widget setting button as a QActionWidget.
I like to have these out of the way.

With all the different needs and options and tries to find a one-fits-all solution nad last but not least, all the time you invest: Wouldn't it be better to create a slim framework so that a user can arrange his own widgets?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

This effort, and the corresponding PR's seems to have gone stale. Are the any pending concerns that are still outstanding? I haven't seen any either in this thread or on github.

According to the documents adopted regarding contribution of PR's:

12. Maintainers SHALL merge valid PRs from other Contributors rapidly.
13. Maintainers MAY, at their discretion merge PRs that have not met all criteria to be considered valid to:
1. end fruitless discussions

Have we reached the 'fruitless discussion phase' regarding this? Additionally, it would seem that if merging such a PR into the master dev branch proves to be dysfunctional or largely unpopular, it could be reverted afterwards. Yes? No?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

obelisk79 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:31 pm This effort, and the corresponding PR seems to have gone stale. Are the any pending concerns that are still outstanding?
This is a wide-ranging and somewhat rambling topic, but it appears at least some of the changes were added a while ago. In particular the new show/hide function for constraints has been around for several weeks.

Frankly I think that change was rather awful. The new scheme is much more difficult to use for me than the old one. Perhaps I work differently than the "changer" intended, but this new "eyeball" method just does not work. :(

Gene
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

GeneFC wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:41 pm Frankly I think that change was rather awful. The new scheme is much more difficult to use for me than the old one. Perhaps I work differently than the "changer" intended, but this new "eyeball" method just does not work. :(

Gene
Gene, I have to agree with you on that, I think the new method for displaying sketch elements was a good idea gone wrong. It feels clunky and I find it visually distracting on my screen. I thought some other ideas presented for that one made more sense.

The PR I was referencing was this one, which seemed rather sane to me: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/7854

-Joe
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

obelisk79 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:46 pm The PR I was referencing was this one, which seemed rather sane to me: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/7854
That one seems OK.

As I said this topic has rambled on a number of subjects and has become a bit too complex for further sensible discussion.

Gene
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Is this the right thread to ask about using features of the Task panel rework?

I have a couple questions about the new information displayed in the Elements widget (is widget the right word for the sub panels?)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."