[Poll] Remove 'What's this?' icon from toolbar.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!

Remove 'What's this?' icon from toolbar.

Yes remove it and keep it only in the menu 'Help/whats this?'
50%
No keep it here
22%
Yes remove it but put it alone in it's own toolbar.
28%

Total votes: 32
paddle
Veteran

[Poll] Remove 'What's this?' icon from toolbar.

Post by paddle »

Idea: Remove the icon 'What's this?' from the toolbar.

Goal : reducing the tool bars size to improve user experience.

It has been mentioned that it could be in a standalone toolbar such that it could be disabled.

My take :
I feel that the most intuitive place to find this is in the menu 'Help' rather than in the toolbars.
I'm not fond of creating additional toolbars. Beside I think the main goal with this chain of Polls is to decrease drastically the number of icons because it's very confusing for new users to have a lot of tools, so putting it in a new toolbar wouldn't help much. (Especially since it doesn't work out of the boxe and requires the installation of an addon.)
-alex-
Veteran

Re: [Poll] Remove 'What's this?' icon from toolbar.

Post by -alex- »

paddle wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:38 am Idea: Remove the icon 'What's this?' from the toolbar.

Goal : reducing the tool bars size to improve user experience.
+1

IMHO "what's this?" in help menu only is ok. Plus short+F1 shortcut it's quite satisfaying.
Maybe a long press (2s) on every icon could trigger the related help command? Would be great for touchscreens.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/7620
among other things, this PR moves "what's this?" into a separate toolbar so that it may be easily hidden by those of us that don't use it.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:24 pm among other things,
Please do not forget to update/correct the release notes when this gets merged. There are other pages that have been updated after PR7571, but I can take care of reverting those changes.