Inserting operation in the middle of the tree?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paddle
Veteran

Inserting operation in the middle of the tree?

Post by paddle »

Is there a reason why can we add operations only at the end of the tree?

Example :
You make a sketch, extrude it.
Draft some faces.

Then somewhere down the line you want to add another feature, which should also be drafted by the same draft.

So you want to insert the new sketch and extrude that sketch before the draft operation.

It is currently not possble if I'm correct?

In other cad softwares you can 'select active operation' to go back to an operation and add new stuff. Then you select the end of the tree again and keep going.

Also if you paste a sketch (for instance) on an operation, the sketch gets inserted just after that operation.
freedman
Veteran

Re: Inserting operation in the middle of the tree?

Post by freedman »

Read up on the "TIP". You can set it to a target feature and then when you create a sketch it will insert after the Tip feature.

One big issue is the deletion of a sketch/feature in the middle of the tree, FreeCAD doesn't establish new supports automatically. Understandably the App doesn't know what you want to do so it leaves the model kind-of broken.
mfro

Post by mfro »

Cheers,
Markus
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

If you have Initiate dragging on than you can hold and move the objects around(a pity is that it is sometimes unclear where the moving object is placed - a simple line can help a lot).
I noticed that at least in some cases objects can be moved out another object. But i didn't test the exact reason for the how's and why's of this behavior.
Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 17.26.48.png
Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 17.26.48.png (313.18 KiB) Viewed 504 times