Should the Shapebinder Trace support be 'True' by default

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman
Veteran

Should the Shapebinder Trace support be 'True' by default

Post by freedman »

In my work flow I always want the Shapebinder Trace support set True, I finally gave up and added this to my macro to do it automatically. Can someone write a few lines of why someone would want this False. It's kind of a sneaky thing, you can model all day long but when you go the move your objects everything falls apart.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Should the Shapebinder Trace support be 'True' by default

Post by chrisb »

freedman wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:44 am Can someone write a few lines of why someone would want this False.
Imagine a 4 cylinder engine. You want to model pistons etc. only once, but you want them repeated in different places.

If you search old forum discussions, you will see, that I was of the same opinion as you when the ShapeBinders were introduced.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

After some testing it looks like (with Trace Support set False) you don't want to move the Shapebinder with it's placement. If you do and then work on the shapebinder support object the shapebinder will move back to it's previous placement automatically. I guess this could be a bug, I didn't expect it to move because I placed it and then it moved back automatically.

At least in PartDesign I recommend placing the shapebinder in a body and then move the Body. This way the trace support can be True or False with the same result.
Imagine a 4 cylinder engine. You want to model pistons etc. only once, but you want them repeated in different places.
Thanks Chrisb, I can see that result. I always use clones because I might want to change something later.
Thanks
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

I have no opinion about the question, but just be aware that using TraceSupport=true will then prevent using expression on Body Placement as it would create a cyclic dependency. ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freedman wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:08 am After some testing it looks like (with Trace Support set False) you don't want to move the Shapebinder with it's placement.
That's probably why the Placement is hidden.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.