[Feature Request] Improved face selection for sketches

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NewJoker
Veteran

[Feature Request] Improved face selection for sketches

Post by NewJoker »

Hi,

to create a sketch on a face it's necessary to select it first and then click Create sketch. If Create sketch is clicked first, selecting a face doesn't do anything, even after clicking OK. Would it be possible to allow for the same behavior as with base planes and datum planes - clicking Create sketch then selecting a face and voilà - the sketch is open (possibly without having to click OK to confirm) ? Or is there something that hinders the implementation of this behavior ?
Of course, it's possible to select a face first and then create a sketch on it but it can be confusing when nothing happens after enabling the NewSketch tool first and then selecting a face.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Improved face selection for sketches

Post by Shalmeneser »

Sketching on a face is always a bad habit. :mrgreen:
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

Shalmeneser wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:11 am Sketching on a face is always a bad habit. :mrgreen:
Currently, it can be considered as such (unless the model is simple and not meant to be modified in any way as it's the case in my applications). But things should change soon with Realthunder's TNP commits. And it's possible to create sketches on faces with opposite order of operations anyway so why not add missing behavior ?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

The full attachment dialog for sketch creation has been request a million times, I believe there's a github issue for it already
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Shalmeneser wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:11 am Sketching on a face is always a bad habit. :mrgreen:
No it's not. In FC it is something that should be avoided, but you can't say that this is a general thing...
To be honest i do it most of the time and i have not the amount of trouble with it as i read here on the forum!
Maybe I learned in other CAD software the practice: Keep a sketch as simple as possible. It is better to create more features than complexer features.
adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:57 am The full attachment dialog for sketch creation has been request a million times, I believe there's a github issue for it already
cool more times the request as number of posts :lol:
Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 14.11.40.png
Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 14.11.40.png (28.02 KiB) Viewed 451 times
However it definitely more than once!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

yes, 2 out of every 1 post is asking for this :lol:
anyways, here the it is in the tracker: issue #6305

If you have more to add to the discussion IMO it would be better to do it on the dedicated topic to keeps things centralized
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65098
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:57 am The full attachment dialog for sketch creation has been request a million times, I believe there's a github issue for it already
I suspected that something like this could have been requested before but isn't my request more specific and simple ? I'm asking just for the possibility to enable the NewSketch tool first and then select a face, without additional GUI options.

Jee-Bee wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:23 pm No it's not. In FC it is something that should be avoided, but you can't say that this is a general thing...
To be honest i do it most of the time and i have not the amount of trouble with it as i read here on the forum!
Maybe I learned in other CAD software the practice: Keep a sketch as simple as possible. It is better to create more features than complexer features.
Right. To be honest, I've never encountered TNP in my models. Yes, they are simple and I don't go back to modify them but I wouldn't say that sketching on faces is never a good idea. It's so much faster than the recommended "valid" approach that I don't see a reason to avoid it at all costs.