Attributing FreeCAD in workbench

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Attributing FreeCAD in workbench

Post by adrianinsaval »

Like I said I was on the fence regarding addons, re-reading the license makes me agree with your assessment that addons are allowed, it's clear it was not written with this case in mind though. A proprietary version of FreeCAD is absolutely out of the question though.
wmayer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:47 am But again it's GPL, not LGPL. The LGPL explicitly allows it to link proprietary code and thus there is no problem to link the MS runtime DLLs.
Is there an explicit section that allows this? I only found something regarding this for "work that uses the library":
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob/11849808a1744f2c9a4676bf169658ba20e5426e/LICENSE#L298-L305 wrote: For an executable, the required form of the "work that uses the
Library" must include any data and utility programs needed for
reproducing the executable from it. However, as a special exception,
the source code distributed need not include anything that is normally
distributed (in either source or binary form) with the major
components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on
which the executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies
the executable.
It's weird if this restriction is applied only to works that use the library but not to the library itself.
wmayer
Founder

Re: Attributing FreeCAD in workbench

Post by wmayer »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:36 pm Is there an explicit section that allows this?
This is the whole point of the LGPL compared to the GPL. While the GPL has a viral effect where every linked library must also be under the GPL the Lesser GPL doesn't have this restriction. So, this allows it to link a proprietary library with an LGPL library.