new hole feature? what do you think about it?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dprojects

new hole feature? what do you think about it?

Post by dprojects »

Hi, I am during coding new hole feature for woodworking workbench and I saw there are some feature requests to counterbore and so on.

Currently, I make some kind of drill, this drill hole below the cylinder. The hole size is the same as cylinder. Also if you set many cylinders at face you can drill holes below each one. If you move the cylinder you can use it like a driller bit.

What do you think about this approach? do you like it?
I have also plans to make this with similar way for countersink, counterbore. Maybe irregular shapes like slots will be developed later. Or maybe additional tool to place drill bits cylinders. I don't know.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
dprojects

Re: new hole feature? what do you think about it?

Post by dprojects »

I think the icon button will be some kind of quick drill shot. And this will get to stages of working.

First stage: If you select only face the sample drill bit will be created in the 0 vertex of the face. So from the 0 position it will be very easy to move the Cylinder to anywhere at face and very precisely.

Second stage: If you select face and any amount of cylinders the holes will be drilled below them. The holes will be exactly as drill bit. So if you change cylinder you get different hole.

For countersinks the drill bit will be blue color, and maybe for counterbore this will be black?
Maybe in the future there will be tool to drill holes in series like applying dowels.

I think this approach give a lot of flexibility. What do you think about the approach? you think hell yea, that's cool ! wtf is that, punk? ;-) maaannnn this is this is s**ttttt ;-)

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking