Set other Axes convention / Coordinate system

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Set other Axes convention / Coordinate system

Post by Jee-Bee »

In my work i have to deal with multiple axes conventions.
Sometimes the same as FC's default sometimes others. I have spoken more about this topic, but most of the time not deeply.

To compare the different views results i look at the front view. (Right = +, Top = +, To me / out the screen = +)
Currently FC uses: +X, +Z, -Y.
Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 15.14.01.png
Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 15.14.01.png (18.39 KiB) Viewed 888 times
In the automotive sector they use a different coordinate system: -Y, -Z, +X or +Y, +Z, +X (rotated around the X axis)
see:
or

Boats use as far as i can see: +Y, +Z, +X and planes use as far as i can see: -Y, -Z, +X.

For more axes conventions see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axes_conventions.

I think it is a helpfull feature to have the possibility to change at least what the current used convention is. I think it is best to store it in the filesystem. By i understand that this have consequences for some (or more )corner cases.
For me this is a reason to create a Feature Request. I don't expect that the feature is added soon, but i want it traceable somewhere.

I understand that not everybody sees the need for it. But specially when i import stuf for checking or for FEM everything don't work as normal(Views, gravity, etc).
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Set other Axes convention / Coordinate system

Post by adrianinsaval »

I think it's possible to change the navicube labels however changing the axes themselves is not possible and not worth the trouble to implement IMO.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I think only changing labels it will definitely help (Assumed rotations are taken into account).
My intention was Cartesian only (spherical / cylinder coordinates are also great. but i never used them... so i care less ;))
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Cube menu addon had a feature to change the labels of the navicube faces, the std view commands aren't affected though, plus you can't really reverse the direction of the axis. These are stored in the user config. IMO it would be best allow defining what is front, top, etc. per file otherwise it would be too cumbersome when you use files in more than one field, my workaround is that when I do aircraft stuff I put it inside a Part container and rotate the part to match FreeCAD's conventions, that way my placements are all according to aeronautical conventions inside the Part but the navicube still has meaningful labels.
Jee-Bee wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:32 pm (Assumed rotations are taken into account).
what do you mean by this?
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Simple example.
Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 18.19.04.png
Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 18.19.04.png (15.62 KiB) Viewed 771 times
+X, +Z, -Y.
Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 18.19.19.png
Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 18.19.19.png (15.36 KiB) Viewed 771 times
-X, -Z, -Y.

Both can be my needed coordinate system, but the second one is rotated 180 degrees around the Y axis.
That is what i meant with rotations...
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I see, no I think those are fixed too (currently)
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi

why not make your own menu view ?

bambuko user example : cube menu addon, please

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I have to dive into that... I'm not known with that tool.
With my current knowledge I see that as a work around till a proper solution is implemented.