Contraining point onto two lines in one move

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
onekk
Veteran

Re: Contraining pointonto two lines in one move

Post by onekk »

I'm not an administrator, but as here is not infrequent that people came and ask as example advices or even Feature Request for old version like 0.19 that is unmaintained.

You are asking about constraints and some work in Sketcher has been done recently in dev version 0.21, and probably some fix and improvement will be backported to 0.20.

I know that some question or topic could be generic and sort of "Feature request" but as some admin has made an "IMPORTANT: ...." post, probably is simply "good habit" to conform to "forum rules".

Not noting that people who has answered you have done some hints including their proper version info, so it is not totally useful.

From a simple user to another simple user, I'm not an admin nor a developer (I've forgotten why my name is on FC Credits) and Veteran is only telling that I've done a certain number of post, without any consideration about quality of posts.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
PedjaS

Post by PedjaS »

The only issue here is that you showed up with your rude comment after actually question is already resolved, and without need to know FreeCAD versions because it has no relation to version.

I do not think it is unreasonable to assume that one uses the last public and stable version. Who does not, I agree, should state version he uses.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

PedjaS wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:12 am The only issue here is that you showed up with your rude comment ...
Sorry for the rudeness, it was not intentional, and the fact that English is not my mother language, probably is not helping when choosing terms and "verbal constructions".
PedjaS wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:12 am ... after actually question is already resolved, ...
It is not unusual that there are subsequent post to after a [Solved] as some times the discussion is done with different people other than the OP (Original Poster), some of them are indeed very interesting, and sometimes more than the "original question", but this is not a "rule".

Sadly there are no "strict rules" about forum posts, many discussion about "how to avoid problems" and some "refactoring" of the infamous "IMPORTANT:"
PedjaS wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:12 am ... and without need to know FreeCAD versions because it has no relation to version.
I do not think it is unreasonable to assume that one uses the last public and stable version. Who does not, I agree, should state version he uses.
I'm trying to follow a "simple rule" from @wmayer (or at least it attributed to him) that says that "forum messages are (also) for posterity" so what is "reasonable when you write a post" could be not when a future user having a similar problem will read the post maybe after some time, months or years.

About the "last public and stable" sadly it is not assured as many users use (not in order of importance):

- distribution supplied versions (that are usually outdated)
- links found in old blogs or similar that sometimes point to "file distributions services" that usually "re-pay" the "linker" with money if a file is downloaded form their services.
- on Windows there are also "App store" for recent incarnations that is know to supply even "payed version" form some fellows, if you search you will find also some disussions about the "legal state" of these versions
- There is also the RT version from RealThunder that is fairly used and for some version the only way is to see the "build number" or other infos that are present only in the "full FC info"

For the reason that "forum messages are (also) for posterity" I usually amend my posts, and try even to correct mistypes or other things.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

PedjaS wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:12 am I do not think it is unreasonable to assume that one uses the last public and stable version. Who does not, I agree, should state version he uses.
While I agree that asking for version here wasn't really necessary, there's a reason why that is in the guidelines, many times it is not only the FreeCAD version but the library versions an OS are also relevant, and no, we can't assume people are using latest stable, I can't tell you how many times I and many others wasted time because an user didn't think it was important to mention he was using an old version, or realthunder's version, or didn't even know there where like 3 newer versions available.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

PedjaS wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:12 am I do not think it is unreasonable to assume that one uses the last public and stable version.
If you hang around the Help forum for a while, as many of us forum rats do, it will be clear that it is VERY unreasonable to make that assumption. :lol:

Gene
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

May I hijack this thread to ask the forum rats why this tool is called Constrain point onto object?

The only available objects in sketcher apart from points/vertices are lines or curves. To better match with the icon it should be Constrain point onto line or, to consider this thread, Constrain point onto lines.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FBXL5 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:04 am May I hijack this thread to ask the forum rats why this tool is called Constrain point onto object?
Although "Point onto line" would probably be immediately understandable, it wouldn't be correct, because lines are always straight. In the future there will hopefully "Point on B-spline" be available as well.
Since the objects in Sketcher are called "Elements", I would rather use this: "Point on Element". It is a bit less general, more Sketcher specific, and still exact.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

chrisb wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:05 am
FBXL5 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:04 am May I hijack this thread to ask the forum rats why this tool is called Constrain point onto object?
Although "Point onto line" would probably be immediately understandable, it wouldn't be correct, because lines are always straight. In the future there will hopefully "Point on B-spline" be available as well.
Since the objects in Sketcher are called "Elements", I would rather use this: "Point on Element". It is a bit less general, more Sketcher specific, and still exact.
I have learned that line is a more generic term and lines can be curved or straight and so it would be correct and exact.
(Curves are curved lines = Kurven sind gekrümmte Linien)
Linear is not line like but rather straight, but this latin word makes us think that our lines should be straight.

Element is at least better than object. And Point on Line(s) should include Point on B-spline.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FBXL5 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:33 am I have learned that line is a more generic term and lines can be curved or straight and so it would be correct and exact.
In common language there isn't a sharp distinction, and there is indeed the notion of a "bent line". However, in FreeCAD you can create lines, they exist as Python objects of that type and they are always straight.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I've never had issue with the name so I don't see the point in changing it, if it would be changed I disagree with point on line since it also works on circles, parabolas, etc.
point on element or point on edge might be better but then again point on object is almost the same as those. So I vote to keep as is.