Chamfering with 90 degree angle - stand corrected it is called couterbore

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PedjaS

Chamfering with 90 degree angle - stand corrected it is called couterbore

Post by PedjaS »

I've created pockets for screw holes. I want screw heads to flush with outer surface so they do not stick out.

Thing is screws that are to be used have flat bottom side meaning they do not need angled chamfer but chamber that goes straight down, making flat surface for head to sit on. I meet with this need quite frequently.

When I try to set 90 degrees as chamfer angle, it fails.

So that is feature request. 90 degree angle on chamfer should work.

Yes, I know how to do it in other ways but when you have lots of different holes to handle, chamfering would be the most practical, efficient and user friendly way.

This could also be useful for situation when zou have edfe of the surface but want to have 90 degrees notch on that edge - like chamfer going inwards.
Last edited by PedjaS on Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: [Feature reguest] Chamfering with 90 degree angle

Post by Shalmeneser »

PartDesign_Hole + Counterbore ?
Haavard

Post by Haavard »

You mean like this?
This is not a chamfer, it's a counterbore. Use hole, not pocket, when creating screw holes.

Hole.png
Hole.png (92.01 KiB) Viewed 998 times
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

PedjaS wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:50 pm ...
As this appear in "open discussion" every arguments should be good.

But maybe asking prior to make a [Feature request] ask in the "Help section" if something could be already done in a proper way like a counterbore, that could be even angled to accomodate for conical heads screw should be a correct things.

Or even a quick search on WikiPedia, that is not an authoritative source, but usually gave a decent idea of what is the argument.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamfer

This seems to reveal that you lack in experience in "3D mechanical CADs" and also in some "mechanical vocabulary", it is not a critics, as not all here are mechanical engineers or designers, but this way could make your requests less prone to be even read and analysed by people that could fulfil your request.

Sorry for the rudeness :)

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
PedjaS

Chamfering with 90 degree angle

Post by PedjaS »

Haavard wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:23 pm This is not a chamfer, it's a counterbore. Use hole, not pocket, when creating screw holes.
That is it. I did not know how it is called. i found nothing alike by search so I assumed that option does not exist.

Intuitively I considered it like kind of chamfer.

I knew about hole tool bu first i read about it was not to use it unless there is need for creating threads and as it is where resource hungry operation it should be avoided and used pocket instead. So I never got more into Hole tool.

Thanks for kindly letting me know.
PedjaS

Post by PedjaS »

onekk wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:15 pm This seems to reveal that you lack in experience in "3D mechanical CADs" and also in some "mechanical vocabulary", it is not a critics, as not all here are mechanical engineers or designers, but this way could make your requests less prone to be even read and analysed by people that could fulfil your request.
As you noticed I did not know how it is called. My searches revealed nothing as I did not know proper keyword. Now I learned.

That said, is there similar si0mle and easy way to create "counterbore" alike but hexagonally or rectangle shaped to fit screws and bolts of that shape (to keep them spinning)? I am also struggling with that.
PedjaS

Re: Chamfering with 90 degree angle - stand corrected it is called couterbore

Post by PedjaS »

Is there simple way to create counterbore on both sides of through all hole? One for screw head, other for nut.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Is there a simple way
Simple is a relative thing. I think simple is a couple sketches and a couple pockets. That said, if you tell me you need to do 100 holes, well then another approach might be better, I don't know your situation or why two pockets is a problem.
Maybe your just trying to learn better and faster ways, I think this is it.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

PedjaS wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:01 pm
As you noticed I did not know how it is called. My searches revealed nothing as I did not know proper keyword. Now I learned.

That said, is there similar si0mle and easy way to create "counterbore" alike but hexagonally or rectangle shaped to fit screws and bolts of that shape (to keep them spinning)? I am also struggling with that.
I usually use the Polygon for the exagonal and a simple Box for the square, but as I'm coding most of my design with scripting it is not difficult, you have to align the top of the polygon to the upper face and make a boolean cut (As I'm using Part WB there are no Feature like in PD).

For dimensions, I usually use some 0.25mm allowance, but "it depends" as you have to make a 3d print, you have to take in account the fact that "holes" are smaller than modeled in the STL, but when I have used this sort of things, I have simply heated the screw or the nut to fix it in place, eventually using some drill bit to enlarge circular holes.

With scripting is everything too easy, as you could fix some "allowance" and change it and relaunch the script to remodel all the solids and holes with new dimensions, using GUI it would be different to achieve but using a SpreadSheet or an expression could be a way, but maybe make a new thread with a proper title and wait for advices to GUI experts.

Sorry for the apparent rudeness of the comment but "better sad than sorry" to leave every misunderstanding, I too I'm not an engineer and as you "post count" is not "too low" better to be clear on what experience you have.

I have modeled many things, and as example if you make 10 or some more holes and counterbores I have resolved to code most of my models, so I mostly parametrize every dimensions and left FC the hard calculations, I'm limiting to make some modifications is depth of the counterbore and other relevant informations and all the holes are automagically modified, and eventually repositioned.

I usually model with the Base Solid centered on origin and specify some interaxes, between holes as cylinders are created with centr in origin it is very easy to do the math applying a +0.5 and -0.5 factor to the holes.

But this is only my personal way of modelling.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

I knew about hole tool but first i read about it was not to use it unless there is need for creating threads and as it is where resource hungry operation it should be avoided and used pocket instead. So I never got more into Hole tool.
PartDesign_Hole :
* ISO dimension
* CounterBore / CounterSink
* Conical end
* Same dimension for all holes
* Centered on circle / arc center
* Thread cut (hungry computation)

It's not just for thread.
That said, is there similar simple and easy way to create "counterbore" alike but hexagonally or rectangle shaped to fit screws and bolts of that shape (to keep them spinning)? I am also struggling with that.
NO automatic tool for hexagon / rectangle / slot 'counterbore'.
Is there simple way to create counterbore on both sides of through all hole? One for screw head, other for nut.
NO automatic tool for both side.