Fusion360 has hiked its prices once again. Brace yourselves, CADfugees are coming

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Lonfor

Re: Fusion360 has hiked its prices once again. Brace yourselves, CADfugees are coming

Post by Lonfor »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:49 pm jriegels signature is still correct: Stop whining - start coding!
This is why I shut up. :|
grd

Re: Fusion360 has hiked its prices once again. Brace yourselves, CADfugees are coming

Post by grd »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:54 pm Don't waste your fingers. FreeCAD is FREE software, arbitrary and unnecessary restrictions on the contents of files is extremely unlikely to be adopted, you are free to use FreeCAD as you want, this has been discussed before (although I think it was specifically about assemblies) and none of the people in favor of such ridiculous restrictions could name a single tangible advantage over the current system were you are already able to separate as you wish.

Also, should we add something about not comparing with blender in the pinned page and/or the wiki? It's an old and pointless argument.
I asked in which location I should ask this kind of suggestions and I get this answer. Yes, I saw the previous series about assemblies and they didn't got it. They didn't got to the real question. That is untangling complexities. For instance, how many companies that use Catia or NX use their own numbering system (ending with -P, -A, and -D)? And each time they introduce a drawing for instance their system breaks up. What do you have? Complexities. And for instance, right now I am working on an art thing with imported STL files, and the system is sloooow. When you break things up it becomes easy again, but right now everything is slow. Untangling complexities does have benefits. You can store your STL file in a part and leave it alone and that doesn't hurt the system. Why can't you understand that? I am talking about improvements that can help FC.

In The Netherlands we have a saying and that is called "Struisvogelpolitiek". It means closing your eyes and say amen. I am fully aware of the history of FC, but this needs to change IMO because it doesn't make sense. You only complicates things more every day. And right now I haven't heard ONE satisfying argument to continue this status quo.
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:49 pm jriegels signature is still correct: Stop whining - start coding!
Do you know about a good example to analyse how to code a new command? I'd like to try it the Python way: Adopt , adapt and improve... 8-)

I'd like to generate and insert TechDraw templates automatically. I'd like to adopt a frame for a command to use it with an existing macro that can handle one title block. In a further step I want to adapt it to handle several different title blocks, and finaly improve the structure to be translatable and displaying tool tips where applicable.

Just my way to say: "Application XY can handle drawings far bettert han FC" ;)
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

grd wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:51 am Why can't you understand that? I am talking about improvements that can help FC.
because it's wrong. FreeCAD's way of doing things is infinitely superior to Catia or Pro/E. Only NX - actually, the Parasolid kernel - comes close.

I'll say it again : an assembly NEEDS not only to include other parts - that's trivial now with App::Link - but also master-sketches, allowed/forbidden volumes, and reference coordinate systems for sub-assemblies. If you can't do that, you can't do proper assembly design. You've never designed anything meaningfully complex If you don't understand that.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

FBXL5 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:47 am
Do you know about a good example to analyse how to code a new command? I'd like to try it the Python way: Adopt , adapt and improve... 8-)

I'd like to generate and insert TechDraw templates automatically. I'd like to adopt a frame for a command to use it with an existing macro that can handle one title block. In a further step I want to adapt it to handle several different title blocks, and finaly improve the structure to be translatable and displaying tool tips where applicable.

Just my way to say: "Application XY can handle drawings far bettert han FC" ;)
TechDraw is actually quite new. And, the dev (yeah, pretty much one guy) had to take nearly a year off because of a natural disaster. In just the last few months it has added a lot of features.

And, there is no reason you can't use Python to do what you describe, AFAIK. Select any macro from the Addon manager and analyze.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
grd

Post by grd »

Zolko wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:52 am
grd wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:51 am Why can't you understand that? I am talking about improvements that can help FC.
because it's wrong. FreeCAD's way of doing things is infinitely superior to Catia or Pro/E. Only NX - actually, the Parasolid kernel - comes close.
No, your argument is wrong. To be honest, I have no experience with Catia but with Pro/E and NX yes, I have tons of experience with those packages, and also SW. To say that it's wrong, that is wrong.
I'll say it again : an assembly NEEDS not only to include other parts - that's trivial now with App::Link - but also master-sketches, allowed/forbidden volumes, and reference coordinate systems for sub-assemblies. If you can't do that, you can't do proper assembly design. You've never designed anything meaningfully complex If you don't understand that.
Have you read what I said in this thread? You need to separate things. I like the pictures BTW. They are beautiful.
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

grd wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:11 am You need to separate things.
I don't. You WANT but you don't NEED either.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
grd

Post by grd »

Zolko wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:30 am
grd wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:11 am You need to separate things.
I don't. You WANT but you don't NEED either.
Then just continue on. But don't complain when it's slow or stopped working, or unnecessary complex. Because this is fundamental.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

grd wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:41 am Then just continue on. But don't complain when it's slow or stopped working, or unnecessary complex. Because this is fundamental.
Why do you think a project with 1000 files would be any less unwieldy than a limited number of files?

It certainly would not reduce disk I/O (probably increase it actually).

Each Sketch associated with a model would need to be accessed for every recompute. And, every change in a sketch would mean accessing ever other file in the model.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FBXL5 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:47 am Do you know about a good example to analyse how to code a new command? I'd like to try it the Python way: Adopt , adapt and improve... 8-)
I would start with @edi's TechDraw Macros. Most or all functions have in the meantime found their way into master, but the macros may get you going.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.