Fusion360 has hiked its prices once again. Brace yourselves, CADfugees are coming

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Fusion360 has hiked its prices once again. Brace yourselves, CADfugees are coming

Post by Kunda1 »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:59 pm Moderators, let's start discouraging this kind of unfocused call for action. If someone calls for "better UI", says we should be more like XYZ application, or makes other un-actionable rants, direct them to create an issue. Force them to put some thought and effort into what they're asking.
Considering your multiple points.
Re: phpbb
the forum framework makes it difficult to organize the forum and the complexity of threads.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Fusion360 has hiked its prices once again. Brace yourselves, CADfugees are coming

Post by GeneFC »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:16 pm Re: phpbb
the forum framework makes it difficult to organize the forum and the complexity of threads.
It is a poor worker who blames the tools. :lol:

Gene
jbraun

Post by jbraun »

To the original topic from a former paid Fusion subscriber:
--- imo Fusion software works very well.
--- Fusion is a subscription but they do offer a slightly hobbled no-money hobby subscription
--- Autodesk will do what's best for Autodesk. Always.
--- The FreeCad you downloaded is yours. Forever.

The last 2 points sold me on FreeCad. For my current needs and budget FreeCad is already better. As to improvement requests.... well at least users care enough to ask.*

* Last concert I attended the musician said "Nothing says request like a $50 bill"
For English help on youtube check out Joko Engineering or Mango Jelly Solutions.
Look for recent videos, this software is updated at a rapid pace.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Most important thing about opensource is that it is useful for the devs and for the community.
Most important thing about commercial software is that it keeps generating incoming.
You can't kill an opensource project.
Any commercial product can be bought and killed of pretty easily by any market leader.

Opensource will just keep getting better and better.
Commercial software will just keep getting more expensive.

We are making something that benefits everyone.
Commercial programs only benefits the lucky people who can afford it.

We will be the winners we just have to keep going!
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

MisterMaker wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:09 pm Most important thing about opensource is that it is useful for the devs and for the community.
Most important thing about commercial software is that it keeps generating incoming.
You can't kill an opensource project.
Any commercial product can be bought and killed of pretty easily by any market leader.

Opensource will just keep getting better and better.
Commercial software will just keep getting more expensive.

We are making something that benefits everyone.
Commercial programs only benefits the lucky people who can afford it.

We will be the winners we just have to keep going!
This!

The rest of the world is in a hurry. We have time on our side.
It's done when it's done.
berniev

Post by berniev »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:49 pm I would rather have a voting system for all issues, just as something informative, no strings attached, this way we can have an idea of what are the most requested things. This gives you a top 10 out of the box if you want that, or maybe you can filter the issues on the modules you want to work on.
A cautionary note: The danger with polls is their construction. How a poll is constructed can have a huge influence on the outcome. Who is the arbitor of whether the poll is fairly constructed? Unfortunately it is usually the one who creates the poll, quite often with a certain outcome in mind. This in itself is not an easy issue.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

berniev wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:17 am A cautionary note: The danger with polls is their construction. How a poll is constructed can have a huge influence on the outcome. Who is the arbitor of whether the poll is fairly constructed? Unfortunately it is usually the one who creates the poll, quite often with a certain outcome in mind. This in itself is not an easy issue.
This +1 and who are the voters? Are they some randoms who never used FreeCAD and did not know the program and its capabilities? Are they representative?

Greetings
user1234
mfro

Post by mfro »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:49 pm ... I would rather have a voting system for all issues, just as something informative, no strings attached, this way we can have an idea of what are the most requested things. This gives you a top 10 out of the box if you want that, or maybe you can filter the issues on the modules you want to work on.
Not sure if this alone would be enough. I'd rather see a voting system where indeed Users would indicate their wishes, but with an "advisory board" on top where ideally knowledgable devs would put these wishes in a broader context whether they meet intended direction of the software in general, fit into already existing architecture, rate them and create a general roadmap from there.

That would hopefully avoid situations where fixing one problem would create three others elsewhere (something I think I've seen more than once in FreeCAD).
Cheers,
Markus
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:49 pm ... I would rather have a voting system for all issues, just as something informative, no strings attached, this way we can have an idea of what are the most requested things. This gives you a top 10 out of the box if you want that, or maybe you can filter the issues on the modules you want to work on.
With voting systems it can be quite difficult.
- In the votings here on the forum i have see more than once that users want to choose more than one option. Or that users say i don't want a certain option.
When two options are comparable in amount of votes... are both methods are implemented?, is it up to the developer? or something else.
- The last difficulty is that things change over time... An example when PD(N) was in development there was in my memory a lot of discussion about separated additive / subtractive features or make a single feature for both. Would the outcome different today? i don't know.

Last is that i think that there is a huge difference in is a feature new / Need a feature a change. What i have seen so far is that is really difficult to create a change if a feature exist.
mfro wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:50 am Not sure if this alone would be enough. I'd rather see a voting system where indeed Users would indicate their wishes, but with an "advisory board" on top where ideally knowledgable devs would put these wishes in a broader context whether they meet intended direction of the software in general, fit into already existing architecture, rate them and create a general roadmap from there.
I don't understand why devs are higher ranked than Users. A user is equally important as a dev and both wants the best for FC!
Currently the roadmap is pitty enough an illusion... FC don't have one(https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Development_roadmap)
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Jee-Bee wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:29 pm is it up to the developer? or something else.
as long as we don't have hired the developers it is always up to them what they wan to work on, if some of them decide to inform their decisions using the votes, what's really the problem?
I know it's not perfect, I know it's not completely representative, but it is at least better than having no clue IMO. Can also be useful for developers looking for patrons, if they work on popular issues they are more likely to catch the attention of potential supporters.
And I'm not talking about votes as a method of deciding which route to take with a feature request for example, it's just a way for people to express their interest in a certain issue without them writing 20 "+1" or "bump" comments.
I don't care enough about this to implement it myself so I'm not going to continue discussing this, it was just an idea for those who are interested in having some sort of goal list (that isn't 700 items long).
I don't understand why devs are higher ranked than Users. A user is equally important as a dev and both wants the best for FC!
are they really? who's putting in the work? who knows better how the code works? who created whatever component is in question? Who's opinion do you think has more weight, some user that registered yesterday and has 3 posts or some dev that has been working on the project for 5/10/20 years (and that might actually make it happen)? Also, developers are users too! The only difference is that they are users that put on the work to code.

That doesn't mean that regular user opinions don't matter, and of course those users who are contributing in other ways besides coding are indeed as important as devs, but in the end it is the devs that decide what to spend their time on, they are not our employees.