Fusion360 has hiked its prices once again. Brace yourselves, CADfugees are coming

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
user1234
Veteran

Re: Fusion360 has hiked its prices once again. Brace yourselves, CADfugees are coming

Post by user1234 »

I disagree with Jee-Bee and grd. That some operations are uncontinuous i agree. Also that some features are missing i agree. But it is not that bad. Also i think that the concept of the/and workflow in FreeCAD is damn good.

I think the best answer from reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/FreeCAD/commen ... confidence explains FreeCAD very good and why it is like that. Even when you can not script, you can pretty good individualize your work like you need it, from single printing parts, analysis parts/assemblies, steel work, machine engineering, large assemblies, arch, drawings in the cascade you need or what ever. This is also the reason, why there is only one format. So what you limits is how you name the file, not the format.

Greetings
user1234

edit: i forgot to mention, also without any external WB
grd

Re: Fusion360 has hiked its prices once again. Brace yourselves, CADfugees are coming

Post by grd »

user1234 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:07 pm I disagree with Jee-Bee and grd. That some operations are uncontinuous i agree. Also that some features are missing i agree. But it is not that bad. Also i think that the concept of the/and workflow in FreeCAD is damn good.
I disagree, but that is my opinion.
I think the best answer from reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/FreeCAD/commen ... confidence explains FreeCAD very good and why it is like that.
Well, I think that if FC would have started with Pro/Engineer instead of Catia as a starting point it would look a lot different, with a lot less hassle.
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

grd wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:24 pm Well, I think that if FC would have started with Pro/Engineer instead of Catia as a starting point it would look a lot different, with a lot less hassle.
Also with less degree of freedom. When i think about my ex coworkers in the other operation unit and the many workaround they have to do to get a structure in the parts/assemblies/drawings/analysis/PDM/ERP to get at least a little bit of a valid synchronized state.

Greetings
user1234
grd

Post by grd »

user1234 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:37 pm Also with less degree of freedom.
Again, I am not talking about that. I am talking about separating things. So it doesn't get complex.
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

grd wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:43 pm
user1234 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:37 pm Also with less degree of freedom.
Again, I am not talking about that. I am talking about separating things. So it doesn't get complex.
Making it more complicated. If for no other reason than, now everything has to have some method of synchronization of every constituent file.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
grd

Post by grd »

drmacro wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:59 pm Making it more complicated. If for no other reason than, now everything has to have some method of synchronization of every constituent file.
Of course. Like a getting rid of a band aid. You can also leave it on but then sooner or later it is starting to smell.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

grd wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:20 pm Like a getting rid of a band aid. You can also leave it on but then sooner or later it is starting to smell.
What we have in FreeCAD are usually not simple band aids but rather highly sophisticated artificial robot arms. And if you look at the development, then you can see, that things are not left until they smell. But what you see as being most important seems to be neglectable to others. So now may be the time where you start learning to code and contribute yourself. There are main FreeCAD developers who have started their programming with FreeCAD.

jriegels signature is still correct: Stop whining - start coding!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

grd wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:06 pm Come on, I am not talking about that. I don't want to fork the repository. I am talking about the benefits of separating the issues.
You are doing *exactly* what this topic is trying to prevent. There is no question at all that some "refugees" complain about FreeCAD and strongly suggest very large changes.

This topic is about how to respond, not how to add to the suggestions for major makeovers.

Gene
grd

Post by grd »

GeneFC wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:52 pm This topic is about how to respond, not how to add to the suggestions for major makeovers.
In which forum should I be in to add these suggestions?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Don't waste your fingers. FreeCAD is FREE software, arbitrary and unnecessary restrictions on the contents of files is extremely unlikely to be adopted, you are free to use FreeCAD as you want, this has been discussed before (although I think it was specifically about assemblies) and none of the people in favor of such ridiculous restrictions could name a single tangible advantage over the current system were you are already able to separate as you wish.

Also, should we add something about not comparing with blender in the pinned page and/or the wiki? It's an old and pointless argument.