Fusion360 has hiked its prices once again. Brace yourselves, CADfugees are coming

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MisterMaker

Re: Fusion360 has hiked its prices once again. Brace yourselves, CADfugees are coming

Post by MisterMaker »

And now Youtubers get sponsorships to promote Onshape.
When will they learn......
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Fusion360 has hiked its prices once again. Brace yourselves, CADfugees are coming

Post by Kunda1 »

Can we construct a time line showing the pattern that keeps occuring? Anyone know who to graphically represent a timeline like that?

Edit: see https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/timeline ... height=650
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Pathetic. The people there are really funny. The do not like FreeCAD because it is "unusable" because its appearance, but need a CAD mostly for printing sh*tty vases and not for rocket engineering. Then they crying for paying for its shiny appearance. While here many people use it for machine engineering or civil engineering and have no problem with it. The important things what FreeCAD really is missing (for big machine engineering), is not mention in a word (PDM).

And there was from the beginning a vendor lock-in was planned, should be obvious, except for them .....

Greetings
user1234
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

user1234 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:48 pm Pathetic. The people there are really funny. The do not like FreeCAD because it is "unusable" because its appearance, but need a CAD mostly for printing sh*tty vases and not for rocket engineering. Then they crying for paying for its shiny appearance. While here many people use it for machine engineering or civil engineering and have no problem with it. The important things what FreeCAD really is missing (for big machine engineering), is not mention in a word (PDM).
In some way i understand it completely. There are still a lot of improvements possible. I think specially PD is kind of behind. Not only in it's own WB but also in allowance from at least FEM.
On the other hand it is much better than when i used it for the first time....
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Jee-Bee wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:54 pm In some way i understand it completely. There are still a lot of improvements possible. I think specially PD is kind of behind. Not only in it's own WB but also in allowance from at least FEM.
Where is there a issue with PartDesign and FEM? I did i understand something wrong.

Greetings
user1234
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

No you didn't do something wrong it is this way since the implementing of PD.
Basically if creating something in PD that exist of multiple bodies you need Part compound to use the FEM. If you want to mesh a body that is transformed the mesh go back to general origin. axis and planes are not recognized and there were some more this kind of stuff.
I didn't try recently so probably some are fixed already...
grd

Post by grd »

user1234 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:48 pm The important things what FreeCAD really is missing (for big machine engineering), is not mention in a word (PDM).
You can contribute if you want to. The link is https://github.com/grd/FreePDM
Keep in mind that it is still in very early design with lots of decisions to be made. But if you want to help, you are welcome.

But... I agree with JeeBee. There are a lot of serious issues with FreeCAD. I pointed out the 'Splitting Complexity' problem, but there are many real fundamental issues. It is not only the looks (because the looks of FC is pretty good), the problem is the feel. And also things such as COG and material in a part, the measuring that is abysmal, and I can go on and on.
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

A lot of the negative comments about FreeCAD in that hackaday article are just pure vitriol.

They clearly don't want to understand how to use a differently structured piece of software.

However it does highlight the fact that compared to other similar software, the barrier of entry for being productive in FreeCAD is considerably higher than the rest.

Side Note: I still never understood the DIY community's obsession with Fusion. I found it horrible to work in when I last tried it.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

MisterMaker wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:59 pm And now Youtubers get sponsorships to promote Onshape.
When will they learn......
ugh.. onshape it's even worse, it works very nicely, is pretty extensible and it's sometimes great to be able to access it anywhere through a browser, but at the same time, it's completely cloud based, get off the internet (or they start limiting stuff for free tier) and you are screwed.