Fusion360 has hiked its prices once again. Brace yourselves, CADfugees are coming

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MisterMaker

Re: Fusion360 has hiked its prices once again. Brace yourselves, CADfugees are coming

Post by MisterMaker »

I'd say paying users get votes. :twisted:
I mean you could say that's not the Freecad philosophy, but doing stuff cost money. And so more then logical that you reward people who donate.
Jolbas

Re: Fusion360 has hiked its prices once again. Brace yourselves, CADfugees are coming

Post by Jolbas »

Is it actually realistic to implement some kind of ranking system of voters? Who is going to judge and do someone need to make a software that scrapes information about users commitments?
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

I feel like the discussion here has veered way off topic. Ranked voting? Measuring value of contribution? Expecting monetary contribution to have a valued opinion (essentially pay2play/pay2win)?

None of those ideas sound particularly healthy for a FOSS project.

If you want to argue for stronger governance? Seeking sponsorship/funding to afford fulltime developers, or pay bounties for development targets? Sure, those are ideas that have merit in my opinion. But, those kinds of discussions probably don't belong in a forum thread, and certainly aren't really topics that warrant public debate. Those are discussions for the project maintainers and major community contributors.
Last edited by obelisk79 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lonfor

Post by Lonfor »

obelisk79 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:11 am None of those ideas sound particularly healthy for a FOSS project.
I agree. What I see here is a group attempting to grab some power on the project by injecting the idea that their voice should count. There is a glaring flaw with that approach, in a 100% voluntary project no one can tell anyone what to do. Contributions are accepted or refused by merit and that semi-anarchist methodology has worked well so far.
In the end, as some veterans said before, if you wanna change learn to code and make it yourself. Hard but true.
aapo

Post by aapo »

mfro wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:52 pm That's just as important as coding.
In principle that is true, but let's face it: You cannot coerce other people to code, except with money. The people who can code are going to code stuff in the way they like, and the most the community can decide, is to either accept the extra code or abandon it from the master build. Of course, other people can give suggestions or revision requests for the coder, but it is up to him/her to agree to do them.

From that point of view, IMHO only somebody (ideally: a team) with good enough knowledge about the inner workings should have the final say on what, which and how something is going to be implemented.
There are not that many coders, so the final say is going to be whether some new feature someone wanted to create is finally going to be included or not; not about what features and how will be added next. Of course, the main developers who have the github commit access are setting some guidelines and general FreeCAD principles that your code should follow, but at least from my experience adding some small features it seems that every reasonable new feature that is properly coded will be added. If you try to add something that is badly coded or is not compatible with FreeCAD modularization principles and some other rules, the contribution will be refused. A feature no one has wanted to code yet is not going to be added, because there's no code to add. It seems to be that simple.